1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you charge extra for a car in the driveway?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Exact Services, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

Case in point last winter one of my seasonal had a mini van parked in the middle of a smaller driveway nearly every time. I clear snow with single stage blowers [which is very fast on small driveways] but it does burn up extra time having to maneuver around a vehicle and with the wind blowing in the wrong direction can turn it into a real PITA. I only had to show up 4 times last winter so it wasn't a major deal total time wise but a heavy winter could really burn up extra total time.

This client wants to do another seasonal plan this winter. I'm considering a contract clause that cars in the driveway may incur additional fees....?

Your input?
  2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Just ask them to move it or charge like 5$ extra.

VIPHGM Senior Member

tell them that you will blow around the car for a fixed rate and then come back and charge them again for finish cleaning on the drive if there in a route around other stuff or just give them a huge bill and if they dont sign then dont worry about it...
  4. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Just add the cost of havin the car there to the original bill with biddin
  5. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Agree, they obviously want you back, and evidently don't have the sense to move their buggy, so if it costs more to do the work, well.........
  6. McGaw

McGaw Senior Member

I've only ever had this issue once, and it's not really an issue. She parks at the very back of the driveway. I just shovel from the car, to where it's clear, and blow it all. Usually there isn't much snow around the car anyways the way the house is situated.
  7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Exact Services, just leave it be. Keep things simple, some drives take a little more time than others. If its in your route, take them on. Its better that is takes a few extra minutes than not have them at all.
  8. Mr.Freezzz

Mr.Freezzz Member
    from Utah

I agree I dose get annoying and frustating but the less bit ching and doing that little extra will be the other 2 jobs you get from word of mouth. I might mention something one time and nicely ask if that is ok that I have to shovel around your van don't want to damage it with my machine. Let her know its a favor.
  9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Well Said, in the grand scheme of things its not a big deal IMOP. I would never charge more, if they want to move it great, if not blow around it.

Regards Mike
  10. brookline

brookline Senior Member

I have it in my contract to make sure cars are not in the driveway during a snowfall. Obviously this is n.ot always possible so it also states that we will go to the sides and back of car. There may be about a 12" width of snow arouund the perimeter of the car. They are charged full price. If they choose to have me come back they are charged accordingly to the regular hourly rate. I have had no complaints in 4 years doing resi's so far.
  11. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I only charge extra for a car that always sits like a carport with a toy sittin under. I calculate a couple extra $ into the price. Otherwise we won't cover it...they have a ring of snow. Don't get too close and risk it. They have to deal with it. If you do routes to oversee your properties and the car is moved just fix it.