1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

DO YOU CHARGE DIFFERENT for working during BUSINESS HOURS?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lee157, Jan 9, 2005.

1. lee157

lee157 Junior Member

Was wondering how everyone handles plowing during business hours VS. plowing when they are closed like over night.

I am adding a rate for working when they are open a penalty so to speak at various percentages depending on the lot.

2. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Nope same price here. But I dont wait all day for ppl to move cars around so I do the best job I can do till I can hit it later....Rob

3. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

That makes sense to me. The risks are higher of an accident while vehicles are driving around the lot. The insurance companies charge more money for high risk coverage, so why not us?

4. lee157

lee157 Junior Member

That's about the line I'm feeding my customers to help them digest the price increase.

I hope it will just get them off my a$$ to get the lot cleaned right away and maybe it will persuade some to wait untill night.

I know it takes us MUCH longer to get a lot done in the day hrs VS. night time especialy on the entry ways, backing into traffic sucks.

5. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

I think your making a big mistake. Look most of the time durring "business" hrs you are plowing less snow or at least plowing less area. Now you want to charge more. Most accounts won't be very happy plus your adding confussion to your billing by having day and nite prices. On all of our commercial jobs we just do travel lanes and as you said entrances. And to be honest rarely do we even plow them mostly just salting only. Our convenence stores have fairly heavy traffic durring the day and with salting keeps lots clear until we plow at nite. Time wise its quicker to salt only plus easier on the truck. If its snowing hard we return as needed to resalt, we've salt some places 3 times in 4 hrs durring heavy snows never had any probs or complaints from any businesses yet. To be honest we make more money doing things the way I explained anyways.

Bob :D :D :salute:

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I agree with Bob. I think you'll end up with nothing but trouble over something like that (arguements, dropped contracts/non-repeat customers).

I know firsthand that it takes a lot more screwing around during business hours, but that is the game we play. Don't you enjoy a bit of a challenge sometimes?

7. lee157

lee157 Junior Member

We do some strip malls and the traffic is just insane we work on the 2 busyest streets in the city and it is just madd,,,,

I have heard guys just doing lanes and maybe that is the best, not sure, maybe I'll give them the option for us to get as much as possible at a higher rate or just open it for the standard rate and charge again to do it after hours.

On the worst lots I was looking @ 30% penalty and 20% on most of the others,,,, really it doesn't add up to much on most of them and it makes them more accessable for business not to mention less snow tracked in and less cars stuck in parking spots,,,,,

Hell I think I'm convincing myself,,,, :D

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

nope same prices as quoted in my contracts

9. Billz

Billz Member

I put into my contracts that we charge per visit, including the times they are open that we can only plow a portion of the lot due to cars and traffic in the lot...so actually we plow about 30-40% of the lot and charge 100%...last week I had to plow 3 times during a storm, and it worked well for me, and had no complaints! :)

10. Mark F

Mark F Senior Member

I charge the same day or night. It gets to confusing with different prices/ same costumer. One price for all is simple, simple is easy.

11. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I agree with above, 1 price to keep it simple. I prefer to work the off hours and I usually only work business hours if it is snowing and USUALLY there are less cars around.

12. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

We charge the same as our "regular" business hours are 24/7 in the winter when it snows or ices.Also driver pay rates are the same all the time.

13. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

pay a little more, do a little more!

I got my "starting rate" (driveway and parking area), then my "extras" fee (around shed, widen parking areas, bridges, etc.), and also my "after hours" fee (midnite - 7:00 am) likes my sleep eh! :sleeping: Same prices for pretty much everybody so it won't get toooooo confusing for me. : :confused:

14. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

bad idea

I would agree with you it is a pain in the butt plowing in the day time, not to mention more dangerous, that said however, you will be making a mistake charging a penalty. Customers don't like penalties, why should they be penalized for being open for business. Heck, ultimately it is those customers that are paying for your service. Just charge more up front and keep it that way. You'll retain your customers for the following year. Or try that salting the lane thing. That sounds like a great IDEA. Salting is where the money is anyways.

15. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Why not charge your "business hours" rate at ALL times.

You will avoid price fluctuations, one less thing you have to remember, you already factorer in the 'inconvenience', less likely to have customers questioning the bill, if service is performed during the "non-business hours" then you are ahead of the game...Yes/No?

IMO, for whatever it is worth, seems you are asking for trouble doing something like that...too many variables to deal with.

16. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

When charging by the minute it takes care of itself. if it takes longer to do a lot because they are open with cars in it then you get paid more.
    1 price easy, to figure, time spent = time paid for, customer pays for what he gets nothing more nothing less.