1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you change your Hydraulic fluid yearly ?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by 2dogs2, Jan 22, 2008.

?

Do you change your Hydraulic Plow Pump Fluid Yearly ?

Poll closed Jan 24, 2008.
  1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. Sometimes

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

Do you change your pump fluid yearly ?

2. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I like my plow, my customers, and knowing that my plow works properly, so yes, I change it yearly. It's a small price to pay for piece of mind!

3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Yes and more than that if the darn thing gives me problems.....

4. diesel dust

diesel dust Junior Member

My 97 F 350 w/fisher has still has the fluid It came with the drain plug are rusted in bad plus the head is rounded off:(:( But It still works fine.:)

Knock on wood:drinkup:

5. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Dude pull the motor and drain it out of there. You're nuts.:dizzy:

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Get the fluid changed or the wood you will be knocking on will be the handle to a snow shovel.

Systems should be flushed and filled every fall, and doing it in the spring after the season doesnt count. Condensation builds up in the system with the tempature changes of the sesaons and thats why you get frozen pumps.

7. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

YES! Nuff' said...

8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

oil

only if i don''t want to be along the the side of the snow pile to be with a stupid look on my face .

9. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

This thread is a good reminder. I'm guilty of not changing mine in atleast 3 yrs..maybe more:gunsfiring: For how inexpensive it is to do verses big repairs.

I'm doing mine tomorrow.

10. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Preventitive maintenance is the only way to go. I'd rather change the fluid in my nice warm garage once a year, then be messing with the pump when its 10 degrees and 8' of snow on the ground trying to figure out why my pump won't work and I'm losing customers by the minute.

11. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

I didn't the first 3 seasons I owned mine because I didn't know better. It always worked fine--but once I got wise I started doing it every fall. I generally flush out all the old stuff and add fresh, plus put a new filter on the return line. Takes all of 30 minutes.

12. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I think I'd be sitting at home if there was 8 feet of snow. Or I'd be looking for a helicopter to rent so I could clear my driveway and get out.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  13. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

in one word NO

the reason is because there is nothin wrong with it (the fluid),

we have some older heavy equipment that i have never changed the hyro fluid in and i have owned the machines for at least 10yrs

and other than that i just never think about it.

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:
    I bet on that older equipment there is not a sticker or a manual saying to change your hydraulic fluid annually (that means yearly;)) on it is there?

15. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I never change mine. Meyer E60 , 15 years old never changed and works perfect. Other plows are 10,4, and new, never changed.

16. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Same here. Why open up a system to a world of hurt. If you open a hydraulic system to change you fluids you must flush the system out. All the toys I have only been opened up for servicing the system. Once your hydraulic system has been compromise. You should flush the system clean, replace filter, and bleed your system out. Then don't open it up until the next repair. Hydraulic systems are very reliable if your maintenance habits are A+.

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Your system is compromised every time you use it.
    It is not sealed

Your reservoir has a vent.
    Every time you move your plow the fluid level changes.
    Air is ether drawn in or pushed out.
    When this happens the hydraulic fluid has a chance to absorb moisture.

Storing your plow in a heated garage between plowing leads to condensation = more weater in your fluid

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  18. just changed to low temp fluid
    (it got cold !!)
    tc

19. bannor4952

bannor4952 Junior Member

ive always changed the fluid yearly as well as i inspect the hoses for cracking or wearing anywhere pretty much everytime i hook the plow up

20. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I just had some problems with my back-up truck which is a 1988 GMC with a Western Pro blade on it. Conventional style from 87/88.

It was the original filter and fluid.

Well bottom fluid. I had never done it and neither did the school district that owned the truck before I did. You could tell it was the 1st time the motor was off as the spray painted gasket edges told me. There was some sludge in it but not as much as i would have thought at the 20 year mark.

It has had a connection failure and hose burst on it so I have added fluid to it. But I am the believer of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As far as pumps go.

I take care of the truck with good maintenance otherwise but for whatever reason i just never messed with the pump. It still worked and the problem turned out to be only a cable adjustment. I could have left the old filter and fluid in and still have a working plow.

Never froze up and lifts at the same speed it always has. I don't recommend this for anybody and I have serviced my Boss plow which is my main truck.

For some reason though on that old western it just sits and if I drive it 300 miles a year it is a lot. As long as it worked when I got in it I didn't much think about it.

Pic of inside after it's 1st lifetime flush.

flushed.jpg

Old gasket on left. Original. You can see the filter in the background was still usable.

gasket o ring.jpg

flushed.jpg

gasket o ring.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008