1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you carry a flask?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by casey, Dec 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casey

casey Banned

I always carry a flask of whisky for emergencies. Warms you up & relieves the boredom if their is a break down or lull in the storm.

After hearing loud music blaring from plow trucks late at night (never in res. areas) I assume many others also partake.

I save serious drinking for after the routes are completed but it seems many plow drivers may be driving with unacceptable BAC's.

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

seems like you don't have anything else to talk about so you decided to start a B.S. thread,get a life and save the drinking for the closet.
  3. casey

casey Banned

Well, I'll take that as a no.

Not really a BS topic. Two plow drivers were killed in highway accidents near here last year & both were above the legal BAC & both were working.
  4. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

whiskey is good

buddy if ya ever get ahold of some makers mark that is the best whiskey an its made here in kentucky ,try it out smooth as silk . by the way i dont carry a flask when i plow i carry a gallon keeps me awake an ready to get busy also warms that blood up .i keep it in limits we'll i am working when i get home look out i turn the bottle up!!!
  5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I am dumbfounded. This topic can ot actually be real. Do us all a favor, and either stop with the attempt at comedy, or leave the alcohol at home. There is no place for any substance that could impare your ability to function. This includes medication that would make you drowsey. Get a relief driver. I hope a moderator will do the right thing and shut this thread down.
  6. casey

casey Banned

Comedy or reality?

Ever had an employee who is supposed to drive come in straight from the bar early Sat. or Sun. morn?

I own a DOT approved breathalyzer to ensure no one driving is over but from what I've seen on the roads the past couple yrs. many are not as cautious.
  7. plowking35

from SE CT

Casey you are a dicotomy. You pretend you are all about safety, yet in the next breath admit to carrying and drinking whiskey while plowing, I mean snow blowing. Which is it???
    If my employees ever came from a bar to plow, that would be the last time ever. And since they drive my trucks home when snow is forcasted, they would be dismissed as well.
    Do us all a favor and leave the alcohol at home, and just drink coffee to stay warm.
    We all wonder why the image of the plowing contractor is so hard to change.......
  8. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

:realmad: :realmad: :realmad:
    Drinking whiskey will dull your senses, thus your ability to drive is less than 100%.

I agree with Dino 100% on this.

9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I agree with Dino too. Ever heard of 'drinking and driving' or 'reckless endangerment'? i dont give a rats @ss if you are "just doing it to stay warm" thats the friggin stupidest thing i have ever heard. If you wanna drink go drink your heart out in your living room and leave the plowing to sober professionals
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Casey,Im floored by your post .Wow as if there isint enough pressure on a sober,well rested driver in a snow storm already,add some alcohol,and you got a potential mess on your hands.The thought to take a drink while plowing never entered my mind.
  11. casey

casey Banned

Actually I am very cautious & would never allow myself or anyone using my vehicles for work to be above the .01-.03 BAC range at any time.

From past experiences on the road & recent tragedies it seems many late night contractors may not be as careful. A personal Breathalyzer is a good investment to ensure neither you nor your employees are above reasonable standards.

12. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare Member

Anyone who drinks and plows is ignorant and if any of my drivers came to work after drinking I would fire them on the spot. It doesn't matter if you are drunk or you just had 1 drink once you hit someone and you have liquer on your breath you are guilty in the eyes of the law even if the accident wasn't your fault.
  13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Why have any alcohol in your system at all? Coffee has caffine as does soda and some teas, I just drink something like that if i need to stay awake.

I just dont think thats a good combo, besides i get tired when i consume alcoholic beverages, maybe thats just me tho.....
  14. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I couldn't imagine drinking, while or right before plowing. My goddamn name is on the doors, and my employees vehicles doors. Christ that is all I would need, not to mention a huge lawsuit if some one ever got hurt by one of my trucks. Zero tollerance here , no way no how. Save it for home. If I found that crap in my trucks, Fire first ask questions later..... One point I am strong on is drinking and driving....

15. rec067

rec067 Member

In Michigan .08 and .09 are considered impaired .10 intox for the average joe. Commercial vehicles ( which we are ) is considered intoxicated at .04, that is it is the same if you blew a .10 in a personal vehicle. I agree with the others who say leave the alcohol at home,bar, or mistress's house
  16. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Zero tolerance here too. Sometimes a case of beer will show up at the job at the end of the day. I won't even have one of those because I'm driving a company truck.

Besides the fact that here we have an "open container" law.

A joke, to lighten the mood, but also illustrate a point...

Two guys have a serious fender bender. They're out of the cars before the cops arrive, exchanging their information. First guy says,"That was pretty scary." Second guy says it sure was. First guy pulls out a flask, and says "I could sure use something to calm me down, how about you?" Second guy says, "Well, sure" and accepts a drink. First guy puts the flask away, and asks, "What do you do for a living?" Second guys says he's a doctor. First guys says, "I'm a lawyer"......
  17. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

casey- are you serious with this thread? save the booze for when your home, and the only person you can hurt is yourself
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2002
  18. plowking35

from SE CT

Casey, you show lack of good judgement at the very least. You preach that you operate with in the guidlines of the law, yet promote taking a nip while out. Why even have it?? Why take the chance??
    Very poor judgement!!!!!
    Maybe that is why he thinks snow blowers are faster than plows.
  19. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I carry a Foley "DOT Qualified" Drug / Alcohol Testing Program Coverage card in my wallet, as all our drivers do. No breathalyzer tests, we go straight for a BLOOD test, within 2 hours of any accident. Our company policy is ZERO tolerance. We have plenty of other drivers willing to work who are sober, if a storm rolls in unexpectedly.

As others have said, leave the alcohol at home. I guess you never learned that alcohol only makes you "feel" warm, while it actually makes your body colder... Even drinks with caffiene make your body colder, but that is another topic.

I would close this thread, but I am glad to see so many real professionals who disagree with you.

20. copandplower

copandplower Member

Now I know why you have this dellusion of being able to snow blow a driveway faster than I can plow it, Youre Drunk.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.