1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you believe the forcasts you get?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark Witcher, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Forcast for tonight and saturday is 6 to 12 inches of snow. I hate it when they predict the big storms, as 90% of the time they are wrong. Well we are getting geared up for it just incase they get it right .

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I don't believe any of them. :nono:

3. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I take each one with a grain of salt...
    The weather men in the tri-state area here aren't so great

4. Razorman

Razorman Senior Member

Me either, but it's better to be prepared than to get caught with pants down :eek:

5. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Always be prepared! Around here it is exact opposite of what they predict. If they predict 6-8 inches we get a dusting, 2-4 inches we get 8-10 inches :dizzy: They are pretty much on track for the little snows: dustings & 2 inches or less.

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If they tell me its going to snow, i believe them and prepare for snow. We have no other choice but to believe them. If they say its going to rain i don't prepare for a sunny day, to do so is living in denial. Unless you have your own full weather observation station with all the computer models then you believe somebody else. Personally, I think its pretty remarkable how well the weather guys can nail a forecast (which they do if you listen to the right people). They can predict with in a few miles where the rain/snow line will be for example.

7. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Once they predicted 12 inches of snow for us, and it changed to 18, then 21, then 25 inches. Then we ended up with 38 inches. :)

8. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

It turned out just as I expected. They forcast a huge blizzard for fri,sat. and it doesnt snow until sunday morning. And instead of the 12 inches, we get less than 2 inches. This happens just about everytime. Last november they predicted less than 2 inches one night and we got over 10 inches.

9. larryjlk

larryjlk Member

you guys might be interested in this, it's like your own weather station. It's a free d/l ( there's also one you can pay for). what's unique about it is it has live weather cams. You can pick the closest to you or view one in a neighboring state where the storm already is. www.weatherbug.com

10. GPB

GPB Member

Here they have a tendency to cry wolf alot. They try to make a big deal out of a 3-4 inch event. My approach is to take what they predict and cut it in half. More often than not it seems to work.
    In there defense, predicting snowfall amounts can be very hard to pin down. Temperature changes of only a few degrees can make a huge difference in how much snow falls.

11. Razorman

Razorman Senior Member

12. computerguy

computerguy Member

Weatherbug software

Be careful with this software. It installs some spyware. If you install weatherbug make sure you do a scan on your computer for spyware. The best tools out there are Adaware by Lavasoft and Spybot Search and Destroy.

I don't listen to the forecasts. I look at the radar and form my own opinions. I am correct more often than the so-called "professional" forecasters

13. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

www.nws.noaa.gov
    National Weather Service. They are the ones who make the Watches and Warning, you have satilite links, Dopplar radar links, which are very helpful and forcast discussions. As far as weather guys they do ok in Maine, i take all of them mix it with the NWS and look out the window. like they said before snow Accumulations are the hardest thing to predict.