1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you angle your plow while driving

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by STREETGLIDE, Aug 20, 2009.

from OHIO

Just wondering if you guys angle your plow while driving, and what is a good salt apreader to get something cheap.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

The idea is that it's supposed to allow more air to the radiator, and it's obviously more narrow that way in transport.

Last season I found myself changing what I learned and just positioning the plow straight as low to the ground as possible and this seems to work well for me and my truck.

"cheap" and "good" salt spreader does not exist on this planet.
  3. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

just look at what u get very closely chain ,eng .body i bought 1 last year eng. had rot hole in it fired it up chain broke payup
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I keep my blade straight when driving the other trucks but my truck has a V on it so no worries.
    Cheap and spreader don't go in the same sentence.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

XV in vee, straight blades to the left. I do hold the XV down some though.
  6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

What type of salt spreader are u looking for. U can go on craigslist and find quite a few for a decent price. What are you looking to spend for a tailgate spreader as I think that is what you are looking for. let me know as I know a few guys wanting to sell some nice equipment. I am located in cleveland so let me know.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Spend the $ now and get a new spreader.... you WILL kick yourself in the a$$ if you buy a used older one and your in the middle of a storm fixing the darn thing.... been there done that... got a new one now

from OHIO

let me know what he has and how much.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Used equipment is fine, as long as you are very familiar with it and know what exactly to look for on it. If you are unsure, new may be wise. Especially if it's your only piece.

As for new not failing, nothing like shoveling sand out of a brand new PolyCaster to spread on a driveway because the motor doesn't work. Been there, done that. I was glad I never bolted the screen back in LOL

from OHIO

I can get a new snowx sp325 for 850.00 installed. Good or bad??????
  12. MileHigh

Here are the specs on it from : http://www.trynexfactory.com/snowex_sp-325-junior.htm

SP-325 Junior
    Compact. Precise. One-Person Installation. SnowEx tailgate spreaders cater to everyone from the private operator to commercial contractors and are ideal for maintaining driveways, recreational paths, parking lots and roads. They are available with a variety of sizes and mounts to fit most pickups, SUVs and utility vehicles.

Download the pdf for all specs.

* Polyethylene hopper — eliminates corrosion
    * Patented 12-volt electric drive/transmission sealed unit
    * Non-corrosive composite spinner
    * Top screen standard (SP-575 and SP-1075)
    * Low maintenance — no pulleys, sprockets, chains or belts
    * Cab-mounted controller
    * 2-year warranty

* Weight: 79 lbs.
    * Capacity: 3.25 cu. ft.
    * Spreading Width: up to 25 ft.
    * Spreading Material: Bagged rock salt
    * Speed control: Weather resistant variable speed controller

Probably descent for drives...but won't allow you to grow into larger accounts and still spread. Plus you have to spread straight rock salt as opposed to a cheaper rock/sand mix if any of you guys outthere are doing that. If I were to ever buy a tailgate spreader, I would want the absolute largest capacity one out there.

What truck is it going on?

from OHIO

Whats your thoughts on it. ??
  14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Get the next size bigger. :nod:
  15. MileHigh

I've read many bad things about "snowex" products...

But outthere they are pretty common and many contractors swear by them...My v-box That I will hopefully purchase soon If I get the work for it will be a Snowex.

How much is the unit without install? And what kinda truck is it going on?
  16. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Got to angle a 10' plow! I angle to the right. If I catch the curb pile, it doesn't throw snow back on the street.
  17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Good price but the unit's to small fine for a SUV, small Pick or up for the private guy doing his own drive. For a full size truck go with a SW6 or Snow-ex 575, etc, it will hold enough material to do a small lot with-out re-fills and will feed material better.

I travel with the blade angled to the right and left both;)

from OHIO

560.00 Without install and its going on a 2000 silverado 4x4 1500.