1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you all wave at the compitition?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dr Who, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

If I am out driving the plow truck and I pass another truck with a plow, I do a friendly quick wave no matter if its some common joe or a business.
    I have gotten odd looks, frowns, snarled faces, evil eyes, "I hate you" looks and flipped off.
    not once that I can remember I got a wave back.

I do not know any ofthese people, I am just saying "Hey, your out in the cold before the crack of dawn working to make a buck, , reather then sitting on your but drawing a check, I proud of you" when I wave. Maybe they think I am being a jerk or something, but when I drive my CJ, I do it with others driving Wranglers or Cj's and get waves back, heck when I had my Wagoneer, I get people waving like crazy if I passed another Wagoneer.

I know motor cycle people do it all the time, I have seen them as well as the police (I drive an ex-police car). So why is it the people in the plow truck are not frendly, is it they are afraid I am taking away from there kitty, there is enuff work in this town for eveyone. Or is it they hate there life and want to be at home drawing a check and have BIG Goberment take care of them?

what is y'all's 2 cents (yes y'all's is not a word, but it looks cool :) )

2. procut

procut Senior Member

Why would I wave, the competition isn't my f'in friend.

3. BMB Plowing

BMB Plowing Senior Member

I think you answered your own question to an extent, COMPETITION.
    Bikers aren't really in competition with each other, neither are cops and so on...but almost all plow drivers out there are competition.
    I used to do the same thing you do though. When I started plowing I was so excited to plow I waived to the other drivers and city/DOT trucks and would occasionally get a waive back but not often.
    Actually, the guys I plow with now don't even waive back to me and we plow for the same company, maybe some people just don't pay attention, idk.

4. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

we usually smile and wave a finger at them.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Yes... small town!!! Everybody waves at me.... I'm looking for one of those wavy suction cup hands for my windshield.:waving:

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

If its a professionally lettered company truck, then chances are I've spoke with them (at least the owner). I'll wave but not all their drivers know me or even my guys personally. Sometimes you get a wave back , sometimes not. Ya never know when you may need some help and in my opinion its good networking. They are all bidding on the same accounts I do. So if its a professional company, whats the big deal? The guys with the POS trucks with a plow hanging off the front don't get a wave.

7. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

Yup, I'm a waver.... Just too damn friendly I guess... Generally enough work to go around, I'm not threatened by a lil competition...
    Matthew

8. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

I try to wave at those SmithCo pre-madonnas but they never wave back :mad:

:jester:

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I wave to any of the plow trucks. Why not, were all out to make a buck

10. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

were all doing this to make a living. there is no reason to take waving personally. just wave if they don't oh well. Odds are whoever waves is doing better than the guy who dont just because he has a positive attitude. :)

11. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

i generally only wave to people i know or recognize. but if someone waves to me im not rude i wave back

12. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I do not take it personally if they do not wave back, nor do I care if they get mad and flip me off, I just thought it would be something to get others imput on, see if I was the only one doing the waving in the world of plowing:)

13. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I am glad that I am not the only one doing it, I guess I may be the only one in this town, but maybe if I wave enuff to the other guys they will wave back so I will just leave them alone!

14. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

there is more then enough plowing to go around and im at capacity so i dont really see other plow drivers as competition per say. its a diffrent story for lawn care we were so congested with lawn companys in my area is disturbing., i usually only wave at people i know, if some random person waves at me ill wave back.

15. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Never really thought about it, generally most of my travel time it's dark anyway, making it hard, if not impossible to even see the driver. By the time it's daylight, I'm dealing with rush hour traffic and just try to pay attention to the other vehicles around me.

16. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I wave after I've driven them off the road.

I always give DOT guys a wave, or a beep if they pull over to let me pass during a storm in the early AM.

17. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

i always wave summer 2 the guy out cutting winter plow trucks get a wave 2 i ride a sport bike so i wave all the time harley guy some wave some dont

18. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

if someone waves at me or its someone i know ill wave back but i dont go out of my way to wave at every truck that passes

19. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I will wave back but wont initiate the wave. Around here it seems other plow guys ignore each other pretty much. If I recognize the truck I will wave but otherwise I pay attention to the road and most times don't notice other trucks unless they are being wipes for some reason.

It seems whenever I look over at another plow truck or driver they look away real fast like they don't even see me. Makes no matter to me and no one is my competition, like one said before there is plenty to go around for everyone, even for the lowballers.

There is a few I know who if they see me pull in the lot and drive to the window to say howdy. I see a lot of plow trucks go by slow when I am actually plowing tho and I know they are checking out how I plow. I just wish one would stop in once in a while as it gets boring as hell sometimes at night after 10 or more hours.

20. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

They walk up and want a tutorial on both of my truck's blades. I stare at them and ask, "Aren't you the competition?

They just stand there and look stupid while I drive away.