1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do we need Permits To plow in Michigan

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by S-10 Plower, Dec 7, 2003.

1. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

Do we as snow plowers need to have a permit to plow snow?

I called the sec of state and they said to call the state police i called them they told me to call the sec of state and they had not hear of anything like that.

I Just don't want to get a TICKET Please help if you can.:confused:

Thanks Mark.:gunsfiring:
  2. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

As far as I know you dont. MY dads been doin it for 20+ years and I have for the last 3. I know a lot of people in the business and have never heard of such a thing.
  3. VLPlowing

VLPlowing Junior Member

Around here in Western Michigan, there is no state permit, each city has a choice of whether or not to require a license. Prices range from $25-175 per city.
  4. I'm surprised they don't since they claim the state needs cash with all the budget cuts. I'm still bitter that they changed the ruling for boat trailer license plates. I have a jet ski and I only use it maybe 6 months out of the year so I only renew my tags for 6 months for like 13 bucks. NOW the state (in order to make money) changes the registration to a permanent license plate, where the price is determined by weight of the trailer. Well thats all gravey if you use your trailer all year long. My trailer falls in the category where I pay like $85. It going to take me over 6 years to make my money back, and I'm not even going to have my jet ski in 6 years!! The plate better be transferable. Sorry, I just needed to vent. :angry:
  5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

sorry they are not transferable, I have a 30' Travel trailer, a Haulmark enclosed trailer, and 2 utility trailers, all of which I use regularly in the summer, cost me over 500.00 to renew my plates , the camper trailer hit the max. $350.00. Like you it usually cost 45.00 per year, now I have to keep the camper 4 more years to justify the plate ( LOL )

I want to :gunsfiring: the person who thought this up :cry:
  6. WHAT!!!! Oh they are going to get letters from me!
  7. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

City and don't forget Townships... I don't feel like trying to dig up the thread, but I think some Townships in MI have permits ( I could be Off ) but there are townships that do have special "township laws" for plowing, so when your looking for permits be sure to check that out as well..

Yeah, and the SOS is not helping things..... :realmad:
  8. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

a permit to plow snow?

If there every going be a MUST permit for plowing snow.
    I will just hook up plow on truck and park it out front and put sign on saying Permit to plow? Dig yourself OUT! or pay me HIGH PRICE!

I have not hear of a permit to plow snow around me.. I guess that would upset the city people if the roads dont get plow before they are need to leave for work.
    at last I will keep a 4 wheel drive and I can get any where than a little car can.

the city I am in has a buget problems cutting alot things out police dep, fire dep and road work dep.. I am sure they are short on snow plow men so they wont get city cleaer in 24 hrs of 4 inch snow. guess if it's a 12 inch snow that be fun see what going on.