1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do v plows really save time in smaller parking lots?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by probee, Dec 9, 2004.

1. probee

probee Member

I only own straight blades and I hear alot of talk about how much time a v plow saves you. I was just wondering if you think it still saves time in smaller parking lots. Do you sometimes wish you had a straight blade for smaller areas or do you think the v still outperforms the straight? I can see the v saving time in big areas, but small areas not sure. thanks for your imput.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You can make your V blade a straight blade anytime you want. So there is no need to wish you had a straight blade. The best way to explain is this. As you windrow across a lot the pile of snow gets larger and larger. This allows you to use less of your blade as the snow falls off the high side of the blade and you have to go back and get the small skiffs. If you try to straight blade this the snow falls off both sides and takes longer to clear. If you put the blade in scoop you can move much more snow to the end of the lot. A blade with pro wings might work even better as it stops the snoww rolling off when you are windrowing. My blade has sides which are also really good, the only downside is, if you want the snow to roll off it won't without removing the one side. That only takes 1 minute though.

3. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Hands down a Vee is a lot faster, small lot or big lot. If you were to plow a small lot that was just windrowed to one side, there isn't going to be much of a difference. Anything else, the Vee WILL be faster and more efficient which is going to mean less passes and manuvering for your truck.

4. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

I agree, the V blade is much faster. I have a Boss poly V and it works great in any size lot. One thing I would like to add is that if you are plowing with a straight or slightly scooped position and snow starts to spill over, you can simply scoop your blade more and control the spill over. Try that with a straight blade.

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Also, where they really shine is in lots that have obstacles such as islands and such. Entrance ways and areas like that get done just so much quicker when you can move the piles around things and carry with absolutely no run off. Anytime you can take a snowball and run it up and down ailewyas and between cars, you're doing something right.

6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I would not be so bold. Each type has it strenghts and weakness and lot layout and size also determines that too. On a really big lot where you have to windrow a lot, a straight blade will do better because it will scrap a bit better with its continuos cutting edge and roll better to because on smooth mold board with no hump in middle. (some like Blizzard plows for this so because than can windrow a bit better yet than a stright blade without wings. A Vee can have a edge at times though in small odd shaped lots. There is not 100% certain answer here. Choose blade type based on the work you do the most of.

7. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

Yes, a V-Plow or a Blizzard 810 will save a lot of time on a small account. Granted, a larger plow doesn’t save a whole lot more time plowing small areas. But where you make up most of the time with a multi-position plow is the ability to form a scoop and transport snow.

Smaller accounts usually have obstacles and tight areas. On some small accounts, like bank drive-through lanes, the smaller scoop of a V-Plow might actually be faster than that big 810 scoop.

8. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

I have had both and know that I would not go back to a straight blade. The only down fall to a Vee in my opinion is cost (which you will make up in efficiency) and a small weight difference. But the ability to change the shape of the blade is invaluable, especially when working alone. So don't be scared of a Vee blade, try one....... everybody's doing it.......... you'll like it.

9. I have been told by a few people their more prown to breakdown, do you guys find this to be true?

what about cost of replacment parts about the same as a straight blade or more?

thanks for your opinions

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  10. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I ditto the comments about saving time, it doesn't take long to pay the extra cost of a V because of the increased productivity. I've run Fisher V's since 97, and yes they are a higher maintenance plow. They will wear cutting edges faster then a straight blade, and the hinges and pivots will crack and break over time. They are NOT any more prone to breakdown then a straight blade, but they have to be maintained.

Bill

11. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

I agree on the cost of cutting edges and on the Boss blades you should replace the center shoe with the cutting edge which adds another $30 or so. I have been lucky with no problem on the hinge cracking or wearing out but I do oil the hinge alot. There are small holes in the center hinge of a Boss plow that is just big enough for a spray nozzle to fit into. I usually use PB Blaster dry lube with teflon. And with anything that is more expensive and more productive (they go hand in hand) repair costs will be more, just how it is. You can't have a 325 H.P. diesel engine and expect repair costs to be that of a 100 H.P. gas engine.

12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

the holes on bosses center pin is for a needle attachment on a greese gun.

13. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Oh, I did not know that. What kind of grease do you put in it? Thanks for informing me!!

14. probee

probee Member

Thanks for all the informaton, now I have to decide on the boss8.2 or westerm mvp8.6. both dealers are close and it seems like the trip edge will be a little more user friendly,what is your opinions. THANKS

15. Tarkus

The best of both worlds would be to have one truck with a Vee and one with a striaght blade on a big job and have all angles covered as none of them do everything well.

16. sleepyhead

sleepyhead Junior Member

This thread is just in time. Cause I just bought me a hinikler v plow.

17. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I disagree with Tarkus,

A Vee can be a straight blade, but a straight don't bend in the middle.

The Vee does EVERYTHING well. The Vees from Western ,Boss and Fisher are Extremly tough! The Fisher is a freakin' monster....

Actually, a comment on diesel engines, (not V-8 diesels but real I-6 blocks) as the horsepower goes up, the engine becomes MORE reliable, if done right! So you CAN have a 325 hp diesel with LESS maintainace than a gasser! Just DON'T advance the timing!!!! Trust me! :D

18. Tarkus

Vee do not make as nice a striaght edge as a straight blade (not as rigid) and the all have a hole in the middle in the cutting edge by design.

If you go Vee plow, a ttrip edge design by Western, Fisher or Diamond is the way to go as it will trip properly in any position.

As far as diesel being lower maintaince than a gasser, that is a old wifes tale as gasser can be VERY reliable even when 20 or 30 years old and new high tech diesels have just as much or more to go wrong with their electronicaly controlled pumps than a gas engine and gasser is cheaper to fix too. Right now gas here is 1.59 and diesel is 2.19 so they are not cheaper to run either.

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Just finished my 11 hours of he!!. First time plowing this year and all the guys that don't do maintenance pay the price. Anyhow, I saw my V work for the first time. I was not driving so I got a good look 9 1/2' Fisher. Its great. Big shopping plaza lot. Always one or two that have to park in the middle of nowhere except your way and you take the snow around them perfectly. No snow goes through the middle and it changes modes very easily. Also 3500 2wd with a salter on the back. Wet heavy snow and slick underneath. If the hole year goes like this I am getting another one for ME next year. Its time for one or two or three or :drinkup: I have to settle those nerves somehow!!

20. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Tarkus, I agree with you about the newer diesels, but I thought you were talking about the older gassers and diesels by comparison. Did you factor in the fuel mileage difference? There are THOUSANDS of Cummins diesel owners with a million miles of service with the same engine. Heck, they got themselves a club!

I still get 21 miles to the gallon.