1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

do u guys think i was wrong?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rcracing17, Jan 12, 2006.

1. rcracing17

rcracing17 Junior Member

my friend asked me to plow some residential driveways for him because his truck broke down. i told him i couldnt because i didnt have any plowing insurance and my truck is also not registered i just run it off the dealer plate. do u think i should have done it anyway just to help him out. BTW, he hasnt spoke to me since

2. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Not much of a friend if he wanted you to do something without the proper coverage and such. Good move not to do this imo.

3. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

A 1999 not registered? wow. But glad you didn't do it. Big punishment if a cop spotted it. Was your friend angry?

4. Rappa

Rappa Member

I think I would have done it.

5. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

I think you made the right call, what if something happen. You would be up a creek without a paddle. Good call, always protect yourself.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

If they were close by I would have surely done it, now if alot of travling was invloved No i wouldn't have done it. just up the road or around the bend sure.

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

PLow insurance is no concern IMO, I don;t know what the state of NJ allows dealer plated vehicles to do, but you're probabily correct in not doing it. While the odds are against you getting caught, penalties could easily be severe. If your friend is mad over it.... well, IMHO he should grow up. All plow guys should have a backup truck and/or driver for their route. A breakdown is a certainty eventually. A neighbor and I cover each other's route's when there's a break down or something (like vacation)- our own route is primary and the covered route is secondary- but it is covered and I will notify my customers of the situation as soon as I request his help. It's only responsible business.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You need to have a backup plan if you take contracts. That's why I only do subcontractor work. If it's broke I am the only loser. When I did have contracts I had backup buddies to do the work or a truck to borrow.
    You did right if the truck is not insured you will be the one that take the big hit.

9. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

you did the right thing! if he can't understand why you wouldn't help him out, it's his loss Think Snow!!!!

10. rcracing17

rcracing17 Junior Member

thanks for the replies. I feel better about the situation now. I would have had to travel about 15 min to where all his accounts were. The reason the 99 isnt registered under my name because we just bought it to do my driveway and my dad's body shop. Thanks again!

11. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

You made the right move. You could have offered to do it if he would pay for the insurance and regestration. Although it would be hard to get coverage in a real short notice. You could also sell him the truck for $100 then buy it back when he is finished. That way his insurance may cover it whell his is broken down. Above all if you value your frendship explane to him why you wont put yourself at that high of a risk.