1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do Trip springs need re-adjusted? (older Meyers)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 440trk, Dec 16, 2003.

1. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Hi folks...
    After a bit of plowing this year, I've noticed that my trip springs don't have any space between the spring coils. It is my understanding that they should be adjusted so that the coils just start to seperate. Is this something that needs checked on a regular basis? Or is it a sign of weak trip springs that I should plan on replacing. The unit in question is a 1982 model year, Meyers 7.5' Power Angle.

Also...just pulled the plow off the truck, and my angle hose couplers were a real pain in the rear to seperate/join. I was planning on replacing the hoses after the holidays (no cracks or problems...just was going to replace and keep current ones as spares). Should I look into replacing the couplers as well? I still have the older swivel style...but they don't leak, and work well. This is the first I've had problems with the couplers. Weather here is high 30's...so they weren't frozen or anything....

Thanks!!
    Mike (440trk)

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Springs

Loosen the nuts holding the springs at the top and tighten the top nut holding the flat of the threaded stock with an cresent wrench. Do it till the spring coils start to separate. Then draw the bottom nut up tight. I just push on mine with my foot after a lot of plowing and make sure they are still taught. When you run out of adjustment on them, replace them.
    A lot of times they break before that point is reached. Check all the bolts on plow and mount from time to time. The right side can come loose even with the nylon lock nuts. I just replaced two on my myer's mount.
    I would replace your couplers if you can, be very careful it is easy to snap the fitting off in the ram and the pump sides no picnic either. Wire brush the heck out of the fittings and keep spraying them with wd40 etc. You might luck out and they come right off without trauma or more parts needed. Might of had some residual pressure in the ram side too for some reason too.

3. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Many Thanks!!
    That's what I needed to know. Seeing as how it's currently plow season here....It might benefit me to hold off on replacing those new hoses till the snow season is over...that way I won't get caught with the plow inoperable. I'll pick up a pair and keep them in the truck "just in case" though.

I still have lots of adjustment left on the trip springs bolts...so I'll snug them up a bit. I noticed this last plowing, that they seemed to trip a bit easier than before...then when doing my post plowing plow inspection, I noticed the trip springs didn't have any space in them. I'm pretty new at this, and just wanted to make sure that adjusting them up was Ok, and not a sign of worn out springs.

Thanks again!!
    Mike (440trk)

4. Plow Daddy

Plow Daddy Junior Member

I have an older model E-47 Meyer, and I was having the same problem with the couplers. I also wire brushed them and used WD-40 on them which does help. Recently I purchase a new coupler (pin type) to replace the broken one on the angle ram. I have found that the (pin type) coupler is much easier to connect and disconnect then the (ball type) coupler. So I purchased another (pin type) coupler for the plow pump itself and will use the old one as an emergency spare. I also did the trip springs in the beginning of November. These parts are relatively inexpensive, and I have an extra of each just in case. Check out centralpatrs.com, request a catalog, for my area they beat any of the local prices except on the heavy items, where shipping and handling charge would put them over the locals cost, ex: a steel cutting edge.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Trip springs

Millsupply.com is a good place in NE Ohio to get parts cheap.
    They most times are not OEM Myers etc. But a $72 motor vers $150 OEM Motor can save big money. Never hurts to have extra parts on hand stuff breaks and curbs hide in the snow.

6. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Great info ! :salute:
    Thanks guys. I certainly don't mind carrying spare parts, besides, my toolbox is alway in the truck anyway.
    I was planning on picking up a spare hose and trip spring soon anyway....guess I'll just get 2 of each. :D

Thanks a bunch!
    Mike (440trk)

P.S. Any suggestions on other spare parts to carry? I asked on the board here about a week ago...but didn't get too many responses.