1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do tire studs affect MPG?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2COR517, Nov 30, 2011.

?

How do tire studs affect fuel economy?

1. Reduce MPGs

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Improve MPGs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No impact to MPGs

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Actual serious question here :laughing:

Do studded snow tires get better or worse gas mileage than the same tires without studs?

Going to be putting snows on the family Truckster here soon. Studs are nice, but certainly not essential with 4wd. If there is an impact to MPG, I will take them out before balancing.

My logic process tells me it takes energy for the studs to make noise, much like a big ole mud tire. Which would of course reduce MPGs. But, if the studs help offset the soft compound of the snow tire, it could be a wash or even an improvement.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Your logic is spot on. Traction comes from friction against the road surface, friction causes an increase in rolling resistance.

Studs most definitely decrease economy, the question is, by how much? I bet the impact is minimal.

3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

But it you only have to use 2wd then that would improve it.

4. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

Logically thinking greater rolling resistance = less MPG,but on the flip of that less, wheel spin on take off,less energy required to gain forward momentum,therefore more efficient. Lol I sound like some theorist.Lol I think it will be a draw. Unless it's illegal in your state to run them and no matter the MPG, you loose if you get caught with them on the street.

5. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Just put them on the bottom side of the tire :D

6. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

Yep,That sounds like something I might try.Lol

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Studs will negatively affect MPG to a degree but on a 4800 lb SUV I suspect you won't notice mulch firsthand difference after also factoring in loss from the winter blended fuel you'll be running on while the studs are in play.

So the gain in traction would be considered worth the negligible offset.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hmm. Sounds like Lucy needs a diet.....

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No sir. Just the cargo in the passenger compartment.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Turns out I don't miss the hum of studs...