1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do tire chains tear up the trailer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by justinzich, Feb 24, 2010.

1. justinzich

justinzich Member

Looking at adding tire chains to my s205. Concerned about how much damage to the trailer it will cause if I leave them on.

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

No damage as long as you don't turn or spin the tires.

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Is the base wood or metal? They will scratch the metal obviously but should not cause major damage. Wood will get chewed up a bit because it's really hard to not turn or spin in winter when everything is wet and icy. Just driving up on the wood will cause marks. Don't know how much real damage will be done though.

4. hndswthtshdws

hndswthtshdws Junior Member
    from Canada

If you are worried about a wood deck you could just screw down a set of 2x8's or 2x10's. Cheap protection.

5. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

A lot will depend on the type of trailer that you are using. If you are using a tilt bed trailer than it will be much more susceptable to damage caused by wheel spin. If you have a ramp trailer than I would expect no damage as the incline (and possible wheel spin associated thereto) would happen on the ramps, but more likely the tires would not spin because of the anti slip design of ramps in general. You may, however, experience wheel spin if the trailer is on an incline and you are load up hill,even on a ramp trailer (once you are on the wood deck). As Wipens mentioned wood can be very slick when it has ice/snow on it. I employ a ramp trailer for most of the mobilizations of my skid steer. If you have chains and are somewhat careful you should not be spinning tires anyway. The bottom line is that I usually don't make a lot of trips per event (with the skid on the trailer), and you won't catch me removing chains to load up for those few trips, let alone if I had to do it for many trips.

6. justinzich

justinzich Member

Thanks guys, it is a burrowed trailer, my wife"s uncles so I hate to do any damage. Wood deck, steel ramps.

7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Lay down some plywood and you're golden!