1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do the numbers look right?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by flyguyirvin65, Mar 4, 2015.

1. flyguyirvin65

flyguyirvin65 Member

Hi All
    I have been a long time reader and now looking to get some input on a bid. I have been plowing for years mostly residential and small commercial . I have 3 trucks now a bobcat.
    Im putting together a bid for next year and looking for input on my numbers. Its a trucking company with 5.1 acres of lots to clear, 80% of it is open with lots of places to stack snow. the other 20% has docks to backblade, dumpsters to dodge and parked trucks kind of a PITA.. My proposal looks like this.

per push
    $ 325 2-4 in
    $ 125 4-6 in
    $ 150 6-8 in
    $ 175 8+
    salting $380 only 2.5 acres gets treated.

I want the job but dont want to give it away or lowball and pull the numbers down in the area.
    Give me our thoughts Thanks

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Where is the valley?

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

Any pix of this lot/

4. flyguyirvin65

flyguyirvin65 Member

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

$XXX 2in or less
    $XXX 2.1-4
    $XXX 4.1-6
    $XXX 6.1-8
    $XXX 8.1-10
    beyond this, there is a few ways to do it....but as for the actual inch brackets, I prefer they read as I listed them. For 10.1in or more, I have a structure that combines brackets to equal the total.

You have 4in & 6in in (2) price brackets....as a customer I would always want the cheaper one.

6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

What you need to know is the going price per acre in your area.
    For instance here I can get $150 an acre. So your 5.1 acres would be around $765 high side but no less than $500.

7. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Why is 4-6 cheaper than 2-4?

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Bait and switch,no matter what only 2-4 fell.

9. flyguyirvin65

flyguyirvin65 Member

I see your point. I never had customer try to use that on me.

The $325 is base price and anything over 4 in is add to base price
    per push
    $ 325 2-4 in
    $ 125 4-6 in
    $ 150 6-8 in
    $ 175 8+
    salting $380 only 2.5 acres gets treated.

10. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Problem is you will eventually get the customer that will say the snow was 4.05" which is under the 4.1" price trigger and want the lower price.

I give a trigger price, usually 2". Then when the next inch is reached the price goes up only if 3.0" is reached and for every inch that is reached. Goal is to keep systems simple as possible.

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

how can 4in of snow have 2 prices

I do agree about keeping things simple....I guess some people have a different interpretation of what that is.

12. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

2+2= 9.......Yup those numbers look right to me......Of course I have a Huge Hangover.....:eek:

13. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I hate these per inch bids. Nothing but an argument waiting to happen. If that's how they want it then you have no choice but to comply but any time possible we bid for 2-4 inches. Every 2-4 inches it gets scraped and they pay that price.

Good luck.

14. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

After seeing the photos you are experienced how long would it take for you to remove 4 inches ?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  15. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

10-4 on that good buddy !

I had an account years ago pull up NOAA reports and told me I owed them

16. Stinson Landscp

Stinson Landscp Member

Ive done the 2-4 4-6 etc route before. It was pain, too many numbers and the jump to the next level wasn't worth it. Ive since switched to less then 2, 2-6 6-10 10+ I averaged out the numbers and made them work. Cause honestly its not that much additional work for 5 inches compared to 4.

If you havent already go check out that trucking companies lot, just from driving by I think its kind of whooped and beat to hell, but maybe thats just out by the road.

I'd go seasonal on both. Good luck with the police station even if you thing your pricing is good someone will always be lower.

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Im surprised to see so much resistance on this structure...I've had a few accounts set up this way for 11yrs. Never once has there been an issue...and never have I felt it wasn't working.

Well, either you were lying about the amount, or your contract wasn't worded correctly, to cover you, in the event that most areas around you got less. I/contract doesn't rely on 1 source or method of determining amounts. On site is the ultimate decider though, if needed.....and again, I've never had a problem. I have a mixture of accounts that are set up this way, per push, hourly, & seasonal. Hopefully, over the next few yrs, I have "about" a 50/50 split of seasonal & inch increment/per push....hourly I could do without. To each their own.

18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

No, but theres a HUGE difference between 6in of wet snow and a 2in fluff....especially when you are talking 4,5,6+ acres of pavement with piling areas all at 1 end.

19. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

The only thing I hate more than a per inch account is an hourly account. I get punished for investing money in being more efficient. Makes no sense.

20. snocrete

snocrete Banned

As for hourly, I agree