1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do take back your snow markers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by shovelracer, Dec 3, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

So up until now I have lent snow markers to my residential customers. Last year I put out 300 markers and got less than 20 back. The last storm we had almost all were removed. This year I am charging for them and they must be installed by Dec. 1. If you havent put yours out by then you get ours. So today I get a customer who has always been a PITA calling telling me that he isnt paying for my markers. I offer to remove them and ask him if he plans on installing markers himself and when. He tells me he still has the markers we put out 2 years ago. I never charged for them, but I expected them back. His disappeared before I could get them. He feels that he "paid" for them by using my services. No formal agreement was ever made on the old poles. At this point its not about the $10 as much as the fact I need to send someone up there to grab 4 poles. I kind of want to take my old poles back when I see them just so he can really "pay" for some. Sorry some people just have poor people skills and rub me the wrong way.

2. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

are you charging for te poles or just labor to put them up. if you charge for the poles then you should leave them since they pay for them. if its just a charge for your time id say take them back since they arent exactly cheap. its kinda of like ym sign i put up everyone keeps taking them and its pissing me off they cost 30 bucks a shot and they tkae it downt he day before i go back to grab it then they dont return my call when i go looking for it

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

My customers get one set of complimentary markers. If they leave them for me to collect at the end of the year, they get them free the next year as well. If they take them down themselves, I expect them to put them back out for the next season, or, I charge them for a second set if they are unable to produce.

4. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

Interesting, anyone consider charging a deposit at the beginning of season and giving credit once all of the markers are collected each season?

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

No. Too lazy for that.

6. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

markers for what?

there is only a few places i need markers. I have it in the contract they sign, if markers are needed, we will remove the markers by march 30th, if the markers are not returned to us, there will be a $10 charge per marker.

I had one homeowner ask what happens if they are damaged? I told him more then likely they are damaged by me/us and it is not problem as long as we get the marker back.

I have never had to bill for markers, i get most of them back, every year it seems like you loose a few here and there.

7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I do not charge for markers. First of all I use them so my drivers know which are our drives, none of this looking for addresses. Secondly it marks the driveway so less chance of damaging something. Thirdly they are my best advertising, every driveway has our name and phone # on the stake. At the end of the year I lose about 20% of my stakes, some are because we break them, others because kids remove them. Its not very often that the client wants to keep them, what for. My stakes are part of the cost of doing business, they save me more on avoiding potential damage to property, and are worth every penny for the advertising part. I hate it when a company nickels and dimes me with extra costs. You need the stakes more than the client does.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

we charge a small fee per stake to cover our time to put them in and take them out. if they're damaged by anyone except us they pay them at a replacement cost. if we bust 'em we fix 'em right then and there.

We use two colors, one for marking belgium blocks and one for just turf edges.

9. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

We are currently charging our actual cost per pole. I spend a day going around and placing them. So we are talking about $8-40 dollars here. Reason for charging is stated above. Its one thing if they reuse them a few years, but they would disappear and want new ones next year or they would go to Joe Plow for a $5 savings and use my markers to show him the way. I cared less when it was $100 for a season, but this year Ive already spent $500 on poles and I will maybe need more. I have enough expenses already with no guarantee of snow. Poles are out from now on. So the question is if I never charged for them are they still mine?

10. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Every 4 years , I collect the election signs from the highway after the election , cut the wire and add tape . priceless, literally.