1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do spreaders just pour salt when turned off?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Kentuckydiesel, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

i have never used a salt spreader but I have used fertilizer/seed spreaders on tractors. On the tractor type, there is a part which closes off the hopper from the spinner, keeping the contents from dumping all over the ground. I have not seen this on salters and wonder how you keep from dumping salt everywhere between customers. Thanks, phillip

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a SnowEx 1075 and when I flip the switch off I believe there is something that blocks the material from falling out all over. Some sneaks out onto the spinner but thats about it.:nod:

3. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

With tailgate spreaders they usually use a small auger that extends up into the hopper that prevents salt from falling out. When you turn it on the auger spins drawing the salt down to the spinner. You will have a small amount leak through but nothing to worry about. Sometimes if you drive with the hopper loaded you will have to get out and give the spinner a push to free it up from the compacted salt.