1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do poly skins help.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2003mikem, Nov 17, 2011.

1. 2003mikem

2003mikem Junior Member

Do poly skins help.

I have seen poly skins to put on the mold board of my steel western.

Do they offer that much of a difference in rolling snow ?

Thanks in advance
  2. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

I think so. I put one on my Meyer last year and even in the heaviest wet snow, it only stuck in the small area just above the cutting edge (I use a 5/8" cutting edge so it sticks out a little further). With the lighter snows, it seemed to me to slide off even easier. It was a small pain in the "you know what" to install by myself (it likes to keep curling up since it comes rolled up) but for the cost, entirely worth it. I would definitely recommend fixing any holes or at least making sure everything behind it is nice and clean and sealed up before you affix the silicone sealant, but overall I'm pleased with it and its held up well.
  3. 2003mikem

2003mikem Junior Member

I have no holes,and the steel mold board is in good shape just trying to get the snow to roll and push better.

Keep in mind I use a 1985 4runner with a 6’6 1/2” western on it.
  4. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

The snow definitely slides off the poly skin better than it did on my steel mold board. I never waxed the mold board or applied anything to it to help the snow slide off better though. As for rolling off, I think the angle of the blade and the curvature of the mold board are going to be the big contributing factors.
  5. blmc5150

blmc5150 Member

yes it helps w/ the rolling and sticking. we have run poly on the front of all of our blades from the day we get them new for the past 20 years. a few vise-grips work good to hold the poly in place while drilling holes. or a skidsteer w/ forks pushing a 4x4 against it works too.
  6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

wana a cheeper fix thats almost as good.

fresh coat of sunrise red rustoleum paint.

1qt will do 2-3 coats and get cheep roller and small brush.

did this to my fisher ( but sunburst yellow ) and wow what a diffrence a good fresh coat of paint will do. still goin strong 3+ years later also. Thumbs Up

and yes i did a install of a polly skin kit 1 time. unless the blade is real stright and warp/bend free i dont rec it as it will look like crap. and fyi 1 tube of caulk dont cover the install and mine from the kit was hard as a rock from sitting on the shelf for years in the kit.
  7. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

What kit did you guys get for the poly? I've got to do this to cover the thin spots on my steel moldboard
  8. blmc5150

blmc5150 Member

We don't get a kit. We just get the measurement of the plow, call the local plastics mfg, and get it cut to size.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I used one on a Western I use to own and it worked great. I do not suggest the silicone to seal it because you should remove it after the season to clean under. You would be surprised to see how much gunk gets behind it. Thumbs Up

If it is curled when you get it from being in a roll try to lay it out on a flat surface for a day with some weight on it and it will help immensely.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  10. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ditto on that one. I would be afraid of the salt that would work in between the poly and steel.

Left unchecked and I'm sure you would have rotted steel.