1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do my prices seem fair?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mechanicojoe, Oct 28, 2010.

1. mechanicojoe

mechanicojoe Junior Member

Hey everyone,

Been lurking through the fourms for the past 2 years. Im up here in Canada and have worked with a landscaping company and now im getting into residential snow removal. I have some prices here i came up with. The property's are in a city and are not the biggest. So please give me your feed back with my prices. NO HATING OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS PLEASE...thanks I also use a commercial walk behind sweeper to clear the snow so i have to add in gas....ect ect

PRICES:
    Walkway and Sidewalks - $50/month
    1 Car Garage - $60/month
    2 Car Garage - $70/month
    3 Car Garage - $80/month

2. mechanicojoe

i just want to make sure im not lowballing myself and giving myself a cheap name around town. Hopefully im not pricing to high either?

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

ahhhhh, ok. The garage size makes no difference. What's the width and length of these drives? Paved or Gravel? Any obstacles? Any Turn around, or second entrances? You need to paint a bigger picture to get any help.

Are you only using a sweeper, or do you have a truck & plow?

4. straightlinelan

straightlinelan Member

unless you have a crap load of driveways in a row, seems way low to me.

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

HOLY CRAP.......I just noticed the "month" part of it. Time to go back to the drawing board young grass hopper.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I actually didn't think his prices were that bad. I don't know what his market is like though.

7. mechanicojoe

hey thanks for the reply,

They are paved. Most are 10ft wide and 15ft long. no obstacles. Here are some typical houses actually in my city. And these are the houses i will be servicing. I do own a 2004 gmc 2500hd and a 94 chevy 1500. I havent gotten plows yet because i dont need to expand that much. I use a 40inch sweeper and a 36inch snowblower attachment. I also salt and sand.

20853062_1.jpg

39050166_1.jpg

39050166_2.jpg

8. mechanicojoe

oh btw, i actually 59 apartment walk ways lined up from our real estate seller. After we showed him some of our landscaping he offered it to me.

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

Well yeah, the market thing always gets in the way. At $60 a month....no way. I can nail most small drives (say 15' X 50') for $30 per storm (- 6" or less), even with only 3 storms per month...your already a third over what he wants. Even if you went down to $25...

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

Simple enough, but I still wouldn't touch them for $60 per month. If they were tight together I would swipe them for $20 -$25 a storm, with NO shoveling. And that's with a plow.

11. mechanicojoe

mkay i see what you're saying. But i also have about 59 of these apartments that needs to be cleaned everysnow fall. its just the sidewalk and the walkway to the stairs. how would you recommend pricing this out? I also did some research for competition in my area and thier prices are about the same as mine. But thanks for the help so far, i appreciate it!

200817812479861679.jpg

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Price it by the hour. I know you don't have any experience, so your first year estimating time and what not is going to be hit or miss. Do your best, walk through and envision yourself going through the steps. Then throw on...say another 20% to cover your butt. I'm not sure what you get for snow up that way, but it must be pretty significant. Doing this all by hand is going to be time consuming. Don't over extend yourself, or have a back up plan for help. Good Luck!

13. mechanicojoe

hey thanks repoman,

we do get a good amount of snow here due to being close the the rocky mountains! Im just gonna do what i can and see where it takes me! thanks

14. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Pricing.

For the driveway $50.00 plus tax on the apartment walk ways and such per hour on the job. Most times you will be in and out quick but then you get a real snow bomb and you are at it for a while and trust me when it is hour two or more at the snow blower you will wonder if it is worth it. don't undersell your time and equipment it becomes a problem down the round trying to raise your price.

15. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I would say jorget the sweeper or blower for anything but the sidewalks... I imagine you are going to spend a lot of time on those sidewalks if you get any accumulation. Just go on craigslist and find yourself a decent 8' straight blade. then you will be able to knock out those driveways fast and still have time for sidewalks.

As for your pricing... how many events per year do you average in your area?

16. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

This will give you confidence in your bidding.

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package Includes:

#1 Snow & Ice Management Manual – this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials.

#2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who’s first, proposal formats, don’t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable to your business.

#3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD – calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.

Go to www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499 to order. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service lawn & landscaping business myself since 1979, I know what a contractor is looking for; something simple, accurate and professional. This package is it.

17. BOSS TOY

BOSS TOY Member

I figure if you Get a truck with a plow, and have more than say 15 of these houses you'll save tonnes of time and have more equipment to get better contracts with. And you wont get exhausted if it snows Lots.:bluebo:yow! How much does it snow, price seems low:yow!:.