1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do my numbers jive?????

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by klem, Oct 9, 2010.

1. klem

klem Junior Member
    from Chicago

Im about to place a bid on a gas station. The complete lot is 12,020 sq feet. It has 3 islands and a long exit / entrance way.....

I came to the price of $120 for plowing and salting.... it should only take 25-30 minutes to do...

am I in the right ball park???? southern suburbs of chicago

untitled.JPG

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

what material are you spreading?

walks too? salt on walks?

what's the trigger?

do I live in chi town?

3. klem

klem Junior Member
    from Chicago

without shoveling, and this is spreading bulk salt after plowing...

4. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Sounds kinda cheap as you are including salt spread at that cost??

Should use about 200#'s of salt if spread properly so say you charge $0.15 per pound spread that's $30.00 so it leaves you $95 for the plowing.

I know what kinda PITA gas stations can be, also have to consider the risks associated with gas stations ie: gas hole covers (they aren't cheap) !!!

Good luck with it let us know how you make out !

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

One more thing to think about is the traffic flow at the station. Even if your 25 to 30 minutes is spot on when they are closed,(if they close) during business hours it may take twice that amount of time while your sitting and waiting on cars to move out of the way.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Consider your travel time and if it is open 24 hour then the PITA factor will be high. It could take you twice that playing dodge car with the customers, waiting for them to move, etc. Seems awfully cheap to me but I'm not in your area so have no idea of your geographic region's price structures.

7. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Gas stations with high traffic usually pack the snow down into ice. Plan on lots more salt then a normal area of the same size.

8. Russtrtrt

Russtrtrt Junior Member

My experience with high traffic gas stations is that if you are able to salt them early or before the snow event the traffic will melt the lot easily. I also think your price is low though.

9. klem

klem Junior Member
    from Chicago

you guys are a great help..... i'll submit my bid a ad bit higher and i'll let you guys know if I get it...

10. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Clearly I am a bit late. I am a few miles east of you. In my area your price including salt is low. For that I'd charge around $220 - $ 270. Beware, I pride myself on being a great plow driver, but gas stations are the meeting point of stupid people. Easy to back into a once clear spot and find a "special" person now in it.

11. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah people are in a hurry and don't care about the truck with the plow. Mark the covers when you get there with orange cones or something if you can. Price seems a little low but only you know your costs.