1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do leaf springs get tired?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Boondox, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

The original owner of my 2002 1500 4x4 work truck had a salt spreader in the long bed that exceeded the truck's capabilities. I've had some odd sounds now and then that I got around by smearing grease between the leaves, and the U-joint had to be replaced at 28,000 miles, but other than that it's been a good truck for the two years I've had it. I've added Timbrens front and rear.

I have 4 70# bags of sand in the back for traction in the snow, and my leaf springs are absolutely flat. No curve in them at all unless I take the sandbags out, and even then they don't come back to the original curve. I pulled up next to a new W/T at my dealer and tossed the bags in the bed of the new truck -- hardly any sag at all.

Does this mean I ought to replace those tired old leaf springs? Any idea what they cost? And considering the two years of abuse is there anything else I ought to check out or replace?

TIA, Pete
  2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Pete
    I would take it to a spring shop, someone who does nothing but springs, my guess is the need to be rearched, not a major cost but you always have to replace u bolts and nuts when you take them off.

Good Luck Mike
  3. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Pete--- Like flykelly stated a spring shop can rearch the springs for about 1/2 the cost of a new pair--if you plan(not that any of us plan this) on overloading the backbox up again, you may want them to add a leaf. your ride may suffer slightly. I have actually cracked springs-abused them--and you definately can fatigue a spring.--If your 1500 has a carrier bearing ie. split drive shaft- I would look at that also!
  4. stritzy

stritzy Junior Member

when those trucks have the bottom overload leaf contacting the other leafs they can were off of loose the little black insulators on each of the four corners of the overloads. when they are gone they rattle and make noise. just something to check
  5. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Followup question

Thanks for all the replies; now another question

I've had to replace my U-joints every 10-12,000 miles. Is that because I'm carrying too much weight, because I live on a dirt road, because my leaf springs are sagging, or is there another cause I should check out?

6. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Don't grease your springs it will make them sag. there are plastic shims to keep them from squeaking.
  7. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Sound like you would be better off with a 2500 hd. When you work 1500 they become money pits.
  8. bigred875

bigred875 Junior Member

probably..would make sense because the angle is off...

If you are up for the ride Palmer Springs in Prov. RI is a spring shop...they make springs for everything ..I got HD springs for my ranger there and our local fire dept got springs for their ladder truck...they may even ship the stuff to you..

the springs on the ranger were awesome(were, because my uncle totalled the truck..hence the purchase of the 03 2500)...I had a motorcycle, kids dirtbike and tool boxes inthe bed and towed another bike on a trailer and there was no sag at all...

I also picked up a load of sandstone with it...very little sag...they put an extra leaf in I think...
  9. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Sounds like you may want to use the off season to find a 2500 or 2500HD. Most of the problems you are experiencing would be corrected with the heavier duty truck.