1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do it, or pass it.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SteveJ, Oct 29, 2008.

1. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Allright guys,

I got a doozie here. It's a friends lot. Remember I said friend. It's a place to eat, and I eat there with my wife at least once a week. Sometimes 7 times a month. He wants to barter with me for the plowing. Now, I don't mind bartering the plowing, but now we're talking salting.

I mentioned to him for him to buy bagged and leave it ina shed at the restaurant. He said the it doesn't sound like a bad idea, but he has nothing to pick it up with. I told him I'd do that for him.

Ok, now the question, usually when we eat there, the bill is about $45-60 bucks per dinner. Yeah, I like my :drinkup: I usually stay away from commercial accts and stick with res drives, but this lot is so small it looks like a good thing. I won't be doing it for the money, as it probably would never pan out and I'd be eating there for a year.

I'd appreciate what some of you think, since he has done me a lot of favors in the past, and I feel it's time for a bit of "give back". I'm just lost on what to charge since he's a friend, and I want to keep it that way.

Here is a sketch of the lot. The shaded areas need salt. The darker shaded blue needs heavier salt. The red is where I can stack it.

Thanks for your input.

Steve.

[​IMG]

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Before you talk about price, there is something else to consider - insurance and taxes. Especially if you are going to it on a regular basis. If there is a slip and fall or other claim, your friend is not going to be able to protect you - his insurance company will have the say. You'll need to add commercial property to your policy. Now, if you are audited and there is any kind of evidence that you plow this site (and this can be anything; like your friend deducting the cost of the meal as a business expense) and it is not claimed as income (barter in kind), you have just committed "tax evasion". "Past favors" repayment is not a defense.

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You don't need insurance if it's your freind. I would charge him $50 a storm.

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

was that a serious statement........ cuz i kno alot of people that were friends until one of them had to sue the other.....and if you dont have insurance youll be screwed

5. mercer_me

I don't no anybody with insurance. And some of the people I now plow 30+ driveways comercialy.

6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

wow you must live in a totally different era then me.... one shrub gets taken out and they want your info round here.... do you/you friend tell your customers that you have insurance?

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Are you serious?

Do you own a company?

Have you subcontracted for anyone?

This has just about got to take the cake on your ignorant comments. You've been here for less than 2 months and pass yourself off as an expert, which you are far from as near as I can tell.

You sure as heck do need insurance, because it is a place of business with people walking in and out who might slip, or he might hit someone or their car and he needs to be covered for this liability, unless he's dumber than you.

Stick with your Toyo and Snowbear, sit back and learn.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I don't know where to even start. Do not tell anyone they don't need insurance for plowing snow. If you're uninsured, keep it to yourself.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  9. Mark Oomkes

Oh come on Mick, this is the guy that was looking into a Snowbear for commercial use.

Plus, he just was asking the question about the Snowbear less than 2 months ago. This makes him an expert that cannot be questioned.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  10. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Mick,

Thanks for the reply.

I pay 2000+ a year for my residential plow insurance. Thats why I was thinking to maybe just plow him, let him get a push behind salter and let one of their dishwashers salt it.
    I dunno, it sounds like good eats, but the DW is telling me to forget it.

As for 50 bucks, I'd rather pay for dinner. That's not worth backing the truck out of the garage. I'd use at least 20 in gas running to him and plowing and back to where I do my drives.

Any other ideas?

Thanks guys :drinkup:

Steve

11. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

$65.00 per push and $10 per bag spread or about 2 hangovers :drinkup:

12. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I know where to start, when I have a slip and fall with no insurance I will just have my attorney call mercer_me and he can get sued for telling me I don't need insurance. Yeah, sounds stupid as hell and it is, but you would be shocked at what a lawyer will sue for, and how I can just play like I didn't know better. The law is very good at protecting stupid people, that is what laws are for.:D

13. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

unfreakinbelieveable

14. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

I realize you guys arent from this area but i understand why mercer thinks that way.
    Im willing to say out of everyone that plows snow in maine maybe 1% has the insurance for it.
    Maine just thinks of snow as a normal occurence and plowing as something you do, no different from when you help the neighbor mow his lawn because his lawnmower broke.
    It isn't considered a big deal here. In fact when i first found plowsite i was amazed they actually had a website for plowing. Kind of like creating a website for how to check you mailbox. Now of course i see snow a little different and the deicers, efficiency, contract language, legal aspect etc. etc.
    Just because mainers dont consider snow and ice a big deal, that isnt to say the people that move up here won't or their lawyers won't so i can't really side with mercer on this. But i do understand why he thinks that way. Most of Maine does.

15. Mark Oomkes

I know what you're saying bri, because the people around us understand winter for the most part as well. My area is not very litigious, yet.

But what the expert from Maine forgets is that he's telling a guy from NY that he doesn't need insurance. Sort of like someone in Maine telling someone in Florida they don't need sunscreen.

16. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

I guess I'll stick to paying for dinner.... better off.

17. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

ya like him??

never mix friends an business , an never barter with em unless ya dont really give 2 shitz about him!

18. mercer_me

Ok I guess I understand it's so much simpler in Maine than it is in NY. I wan't to make it clear that if I had to worry about getting sewed I would get insurance to.

19. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I would pass on it. Working for friends can lead to bad feelings and losing a good friend. I would set it up as a paying account and pay for your meals. Then you both know what to pay at the end of the month. JMO

Mercer....you have NO reason to tell people to plow with no insurance unless your a complete moron.

20. mercer_me

Mercer....you have NO reason to tell people to plow with no insurance[/QUOTE]

Sory but were I live I don't have to wory about getting sewed.:D