1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I want a dually??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark13, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm looking into getting a heavier duty truck then I have now. I've been looking for about a year and real seriously for the last month or so. I've found a few trucks that are almost an exact match to exactly what I want. Except they are dually's. How much bigger of a pita is a 1 ton dually to use as a daily driver then a srw 3/4 or 1 ton? Along with dd duty it would also plow snow commercially, haul, and also tow but nothing more then 20k and that would be rare, 12k and under would be more frequent.

Pro's, Cons?

I've only ever driven one dually and it was out in farm country so space was unlimited and I didn't have to park in a lot anywhere with other cars around. So I'm concerned about how big of a pain these trucks could be for everyday use.

thanks, Mark

2. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

I think payload might be a little higher on the dually, but for city and town and stuff, I'd bet it'll be a much bigger PITA than an SRW.

If it were me, I'd try and find a 3/4 or 1 ton SRW. Little less payload, much less PITA.

Just my $.02

3. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I don't notice a difference between 3/4 ton and a dually, however maybe I should keep my mouth shut because I drive a tractor trailer in the summer. A CDL dump truck would feel like a sports car to me.

4. CSC Contracting

CSC Contracting Senior Member

If you plan on putting a salt or liquid spreader in the back go with the duelly. You will get used to the extra width.

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I live out in the rural area so it's not like I'd be trying to stuff it in some 20x45ft city driveway. I've got 6 acres to park it on.

I do a few driveways but the guy I sub for trys to stay away from them. And the ones I have to do are straight shots in and out or country/rural driveways that have all kinds of room.

Here is what I found that makes me wonder about driving a dually daily.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...2&item=200305347924&category=119144&viewitem=

It's 99% exact match of what I want, besides being a dually. Now I'm just hoping it doesn't sell tomarrow. :rolleyes:

Edit- I just run a tailgate spreader right now. But it would be nice to keep a pallet back there or have the ability to run a big v box or liquid setup and not worry.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  6. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

You want a Ram?

That thing has a front axle and a LOW maintainance diesel engine (It has a Bosche P-7100 injection pump. Cool. No wonder you want it.:cool:

I park a little further out but that's really the only issue I found with mine and I have a similar rig. I back into a lot of parking spaces but that's the same issue, huh? That's a good deal, too. Guy must be hard up with the economy and all.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm a chevy guy, but I can't pass up a clean 12v for nothing. Always pisses people off when we are walking along and I see one in a parking lot somewhere and have to wonder over and look at it, even better if it's running.

It's exactly what I'm looking for, just with 2 extra tires. And it's 2hrs away. Might have to give him a call and see if I can run down there and check it out tonight. Probably won't get the parents approval or money out of the bank though by tomarrow.:mad:

8. Govbradst555

Govbradst555 Member

OMG that cost alot of money!!!!
    Keep looking I bought my 2003 F550 dually dump with 9 1/2 ft V plow only with 48,000 miles for under 13,000

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Had a dually for a while (not plowing though), Ford F350 (03)

It turned like crap, but that's cuz it was a Ford, not because it was a dually.
    It was big, long (crew cab, long bed), and wide.
    You don't think it's wide, but you really have to pay attention on like bank drive thrus, regular drive thrus, etc. Parking is always exciting, but nobody wants to park next to you, so that's worth it.

It rode GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!1 way better ride than my F250 (02) SRW, honestly probably better than my current Chevy. I dont' know why, i would have though it would have rode terrible, but it was great. Just soaked up bumps.

Towing is a breeze. Handles much better, keeps it from swaying, etc. (BTW, a 20k trailer plus a dually would put you over 26k, that's CDL/USDOT land, you don't want to be there).

Tires of course get more expensive. Personally I thought it had great traction. I would have expected the opposite (it would float) but I didn't find it to be true, probably used 4wd way less than normal).

They look cool. :blush2:

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks LC, that's exactly the response I was looking for.

I rarely go through drive thoughs, maybe 10x a year total. So for those 10x a year I could just go in.

I'm working on my cdl now. So if I ever had to tow that heavy I'd have a better understanding of what's needed.

11. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

A dually is kind of a pain in parking lots, I am learing to park far away and walk to the stores. I went from a 3/4 ton chevy like yours to a new ford 450 crew pickup it took some time, and it will be used to plow private roads and some bigger lots.

12. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

that's a very nice looking vehical...we have some 6 wheelers with flat beds and i'm not sure that having one with a pickup box is a wise choice....you will be very limited as to what you can haul, and if you load anything onto it, it always from the back, never from the sides.....nice truck though

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've never had a flatbed, but I like the look of them. I'd look into a flatbed though if the bed on a dually ever got smashed or I found one for cheap. Put some 8 or 10" sides on it and off ya go. No one I know has had a flatbed on a truck, we either make it fit another way or use a trailer, it would be neat to try a flatbed though.

14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

That would be the case with any 3/4 or bigger and a 20k trailer

15. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

itll take some time to get used to parallel parking would also be a challenge on narrow streets i dont know what u have up here but theres some narrow roads up here some of the roads are so narrow i dont like taking the plow om my SRW i keep thinking im gonna sideswipe a mirror with the plow or my pulled out mirrors. something to think about with a dually

16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

In 3yrs of driving I've never had to parellel park, always been able to park normally. Our streets arn't to bad, there's one in town that's tight but I usually avoid that way already.

I guess space isn't really an issue for parking since we are a somewhat small town and 85% of the time there is plenty of open spaces or space large enough to park a "big" truck.

My main concern is more or less buy 2 extra tires each time and getting used to it's overall size compared to my ext cab, short bed, 1/2ton. I've driven a couple crew cab long beds so it shouldn't take me to long to get the hang of it.

I'm going to look at it later, I should be able to report back with pictures and thoughts on driving it.

Thanks guys. :drinkup:

17. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

I noticed its a manual tranny.Some people dont mind them, but I think it's a draw back when plowing.By the description it sounds like it did some serious towing, maybe the clutch,brakes needs to be checked. Take your time and check it out and dont get emotional. Maybe put that $13,000 down on something new or a used with a warranty.Good luck with your decision. Go test drive a new one and feel how tight they are and then drive this one, it might be very sloppy.

18. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

all the duallys i see are missing body panels where the tires go, start keeping your eye on them around town and that should answer it for ya lol

19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I only see maybe one or two a year around here missing flares. Most seem to do a pretty good job of remembering where the rear end is at.

20. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

That's true and I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't.
    Then you get into drug testing, operating authority, etc.
    Can be a real pain sometimes, and certainly adds more cost (which I know is what we all really need, more costs. :dizzy: )