1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I understand subbing right?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BGehl, Oct 18, 2008.

1. BGehl

BGehl Member

Hey guys,

I have been reading about subbing in several other threads, and I want to make sure I understand it. I have a couple of my own contracts, but I am thinking of supplementing by subbing.

Is the following description right? Am I missing any big pieces?

When you sub you work for a general contractor who takes care of all the customer relations and decisions as to when to plow. The sub just waits for a phone call and gets paid on a hourly basis. However, he has to pay for his own insurance, gas, and upkeep of plow and truck.

Here are my questions:

• Do you always plow the same places? or just go to wherever the general sends you?
    • I don't have a salter. Is that going to be a problem?
    • I am sure wages very a lot based on location and experience, but can any of you give a wage range that I might expect?
    • Also have any of you subbed in the Buffalo area? About how many hours a week or month could I expect?
    Thanks.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Some companies will have you plow the sames places so you can get use to it and you can go faster.

Most of the bigger places will have their own salter.If not then it becomes that you would have to buy the salt and make it up and the GC. will lose money.
    As for money our area can be anywhere from 25 to 75 an hr for subbing.

As for hrs if your going to work south of Elma you may get more time in then if your working up past Amherst. And you know how the snow is here ,go a month with no snow to 100 hrs in a week.

Welcome to PlowSite:waving:

3. BGehl

BGehl Member

in case anyone is following this thread or looking at it in the future, i just found this on another part of the forum. it is pretty helpful with some of my questions. I don't know why it did not come up when i searched.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=66259

4. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Yep, I think you got it. You foot the bills for gas, truck, repairs on your equipment, and insurance. He pays you by the hour, he babysits the lot and he is the one that calls you when to go out. I have been subbing for years and I like it because the money is good, I can still do my real job, and he takes care of letting me know when to go out. Well, I have been doing it enough he doesn't even really call, I just go out and do it when I think I need to to have it done by X in the morning. He salts I don't have too. Rates really depend on the area your in, I have no isea what they are out on the east coast. I also plow the same lots every time it snows, some times he will go have me hit some where when I call to tell him my lots are ready for salt if he is behind.

5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

still lets you do your real job?
    hows that?

6. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Because I don't have to babysit the lot all day for snow drifting off roofs or snow piles. I just go out and clear my lots, his guys watch for drifting and clean it up. I don't get called unless 2 hrs work minimum

7. bribrius

you lost me.

what if it snows while you are at work doing the real job, these lots are zero tol. right? so his guys just plow the lots while you are at work?

this is part of my reason for sticking with resi. dont think i could pull off the higher standards of commercial lots or subbing when i have other obligations.

8. ducatirider944

from Iowa

I can be flex with my normal job, I make my own hours and go in when need be. If it snows during the day, yes, I'm out plowing. If it is just drifting, he takes care of it and I can still do my normal work. If it looks like I will be plowing on monday, I go and do my stuff that I had planned for monday on sunday so I can be free on monday, or I push it to tuesday.

9. bribrius

i dont have that luxury. I do have personal time i can take but it goes fast.

I am considering talking to my new insurance agent about plowing their lot because i drive right by it anyway at 5.a.m on the way to the real job. it would be the last thing i plow in the morning and the first i plow in the afternoon after work because of where it is located so i could probably pull that off.

10. Jimmy Blizzard

Jimmy Blizzard Junior Member

shy such a spread between subbing at 25-75/ hour. what truck doens,t burn 25/hour in fuel, where is the time equipment charge???

11. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Depends on the area for one, second what are you subbing? are you clearing sidewalks or plowing lots with a truck? If your truck goes thru $25 an hour in fuel, you need to take it to a shop and have them fix the hole in your tank! My truck burns right at 1.5 gph or just under.

12. Jimmy Blizzard

Jimmy Blizzard Junior Member

thanks for the response, i'm in nova scotia canada eh. rural area, plowing parking lots. trying to figure out to sub out or bid directly....getting a bigger headache the more i work on my tender!

13. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Here I will give you the anwser you are looking for, said in my best Yoda voice "Subbing for start leads thee to powers of running a profitable business in the future":jester: