1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

do I still need ballast?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PROPJCKEY, Nov 21, 2003.

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

Hey all!

Asked this yesterday but only recieved one response and would like a little more input. Have a 2002 Silverado 2500HD SB ext. cab 6.0 with a 2003 Western 7.5' Ultramount. If I have two rail mounted diamond plate side boxes weighing approx. 150# each and an aluminum lumber rack weighing approx. 120# do I still need sand bags for ballast or is that enough. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Well If most of the weight of you tools and boxes is located behind the rear axle you should be alright.
    As you know the ballast helps pull your front end "up" and helps keep the truck from "nose" diving while you stop while the plow is installed.
    So these are things you would have to look at.
    :rolleyes: John...........
  3. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

Best thing to do is experiment with different amounts of wieght in the back and see how it drives. You may be pretty close with the weight of your tool boxes.
  4. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

I have an '02 ext cab short box w/ 6.0, with western 8.0 w/ pro-wings dangling off the front. I have had similar setups forever.
    I kept 450-650 lbs in the back near the gate held in with 2x4's. I've have about a 700lb back blade for the past few years. That amt of weight is real nice. The truck isnt much slower and rides real nice.
  5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

The tools should be enough for snowplowing. if you wanted to add a little more then thats good to :)
  6. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I have an 03 F350SD/PSD/CC. I run anywere between 1200 to 1500LBS in back. Works great. Of course by the end of the night 1000Lbs are gone. (salt) ;)