1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I really need them?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Dec 9, 2008.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm wondering- do you guys think I really need timbrens for my truck? I already have the t-bars cranked some, always have around 350 lbs ballast in the bed when plowing, and had no issues last year plowing with the truck. Do timbrens make the front end components last longer, or just keep the front of the truck from going down when the plow is lifted? I'm only going to end up plowing for a month and half this winter (when I'm home from school)- do you guys think I'd be okay putting off getting timbrens until next year? I'm thinking since my truck is a 3/4 ton HD reg cab, with the 6.0L gas (lighter), and an 8' plow I should be okay.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

MY 02 doesn't have them and it's had a 9'2 Boss on it since new and no major problems. I put them on my 07 though for some reason.

3. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I dont have them on my 04 duramax and I have a 8.5ft boss on it now and its fine, 1000 pounds of salt in the back. I dont plan on getting them either.

4. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Got them on my half ton makes a difference. worked fine before Now I don't use any ballast

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I dont have them on my 98 and don't plan on it either. A few cranks of the tbars and some ballast will drop my truck under an inch when I raise the plow. Last year I cranked them a little bit more and it only dropped about a half inch.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I have them on mine. It does help take out some of the bounce when going over bumps and railroad tracks. Other than that, I dont really think they were worth the 160 I paid for them. I keep 600lbs in the bad and it does just fine, plus my truck has some heavy duty tbars under it as is. So spend the money on something a little more useful for you right now