1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need timbren's on my 1999 F350 Diesel?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mklawnman, Nov 11, 2014.

1. I have done some searching on here about timbrens on Super Duties and have found a few different answers.
    I have a 1999 F350 Dually 7.3L. I read the door sticker and the springs say XD, and I do also have the window sticker when the truck was new and it says it has the plow package.
    Did the plow package come with the heavier springs back in 99? I just bought a Western MVP 9'6" poly plow and it doesn't sag that much but I was debating on putting some timbrens in as well.
    Any thoughts, just trying to see what i can do to extend the life of the front end a year more, because I know plowing kills the front end. I have replaced the U-joints and ball joints a few times already in the past 5 years I have had the truck.
  2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

You have the heaviest springs they would put on your truck at the time, I would skip the timbrens and look into a set of X code front leafs. They are put on the 450 and 550 size trucks and will carry the weight of the plow well. You will also gain front end height and a worse ride. They will also bolt right up and I think are cheaper than timbrens. I've seen the springs for around 85 bucks online
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Not really necessary, but if you want you can do the springs as mentioned
  4. I don't think I am going to do the springs for now, like I mentioned the truck handles the plow fine from what I can tell just thought for the easy install of the timbrens of just adding them to help it out even more.
  5. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

On my 2000 7.3L I didn't add them until I put a Blizzard 810 on, privious to that I had an 8' Fisher and a Western 8.5 MVP and the truck handeled those just fine. Overall the truck will handel the weight fine, but over time the springs do relax.
  6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Spring's / Suspension Components have little to nothing to do with prolonging the life of a front end. That generation Super Duty's are prone to ball joint wheel bearing and ring/pinion failure.
  7. The truck only has 87,000 miles on it and it previously had a 8'6" pro plow on it. Yah that's what I have found out about super duties ball joints and wheel bearing for sure and I have replaced the ball joints and ujoints.
    Sounds like I'll be fine if I don't do anything right now since it has the heavier springs. Over time I may have to change the springs out.
  8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd put "X" springs and air bags. Timbrens will make the ride absolutely horrible. Air bags will allow you to run empty with a nicer ride when you don't have your plow on.
  9. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I used them on my 2000 F350, the truck did a lot better handling my V-Plow. I removed them when the plow wasn't being used...during summer months. With no extra weight on the truck I bounced around so much more.

Besides, taking them off and re installing them is about a 15 min job.
  10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I have the inverted style leaf springs, no idea what "letter" they are. They handle my plow perfectly find, with wings added its over 1,000lbs. Since adding bigger tires, I did put on a shackle lift though which doesn't increase the capacity at all.

I'd say save your money and run it as is.
  11. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I think you're fine. I had my 9'2 vxt on my 03 diesel 250 and had no problems. I had a two inch lift but that didnt do much
  12. therabbittree

therabbittree Member

You have the X Codes already. You said your door jamb sticker says XD X is front spring code, D is the rear spring code.

I am looking into front Timbrens too for my Boss 9.2' DXT . I have 2000 Excursion with modified front springs and modified B code rear springs.

I haven't mounted the plow yet. Still finishing the truck. Its a conversion truck. 12V Cummins, 6 speed G56 Manual trans , manual shift 271 Transfer case etc...etc
  13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

^that sounds awesome!
  14. SGSMAN

SGSMAN Junior Member

I have an 02 f250 ccsb 7.3 with the plow package.i run a blizzard 810.it did sag a little I put air bags on it and raise it to stock height with the plow on it.for 300 bucks you cant beat it.