1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need SuperDuty or HD versions?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by mateck, Sep 25, 2015.

1. mateck

mateck Junior Member

Hello: I have plowed with my S10 for years... just a few residential dirveways because snow plowing is therapeutic for me. I am not ready to replace it with a full size truck and plow. My question is, do I need to have a super duty or HD version of a truck, or will any 3/4 or 1 ton pickup work with a plow on the front? Thanks! Matt from Michigan.
  2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Better to no what make model u want first. But any 3/4 ton should be just fine.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If your just doing drives why not look into a half ton?
  4. mateck

mateck Junior Member

I thought about that, but I also want to be plan to by a boom lift and occasionaly two it behind me, and thought that I could get better pay load and pulling with the heavy duty trucks.
  5. mateck

mateck Junior Member

I forgot to answer the first question: I am heavy leaning towards a 2007-2011 aged Silverado 2500 or 3500. Since I am going used, I have left myself quite a range of years. I plan to spend about 15k on the truck, so if it is newer, it will have lots if miles on it. I don't have a preference for diesel
  6. bartolini

bartolini Member

Ford super dury = man truck
    chevy hd = girl loads
    chevy diesel = good
    ford deisel = bad
    28 years exp.
  7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Super Duty is nothing more than a name and HD has been beaten to death. Clever marketing terms for the big three truck wars. Anything bigger than an S-10 is an upgrade for you. You've obviously been doing well with that, right? You're not ready to replace it and it has been working fine for you for years. I don't understand the point of this post. Want a practical plowing vehicle for your therapy? A Jeep!!!
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  8. mateck

mateck Junior Member

I'm sorry, I meant to say "I am NOW ready to replace it". It is falling apart. So I just didn't know the importance of the HD markings and Super Duty markings... in relation to snow plowing. The snoway plow was great, but I want to have more options when I start shopping for a plow, so if the Superduty/HD mark gives me a wider range of plows to look for, that is great.
  9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The heavier the truck, the wider array of choices for plows. Look for things like the vehicle's GVW and front end weight ratings. Chevy's do or did use HD on their trucks. A GM HD truck had a full floating rear axle and the non-HD did not (is what I always looked for), so in a way it was easier to tell the weight of a GM truck by just that. I have a 2011 F250 and you can't tell anything by looking at it. You need to look on the door jam for the truck's weight rating. A factory plow prepped truck will have the heavier springs and a bigger alternator. If you don't need a truck that big, get a Jeep. Plowmeister on here has three of them and one pushes a 7.5 Boss V!
  10. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

I run all superduty fords. They don't fit in all my drives, we end up snowblowing alot. Stay with a smaller truck.