1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need snow chains for my Quad?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by RichTJ99, Oct 8, 2012.

1. RichTJ99

RichTJ99 Member

Hi,

I just purchased a used 2011 Kawi 750 brute force with warn winch & moose plow. My driveway is about 1/2 from the road. There is a part of the driveway that is very steep. Should I plan to buy snow chains for the quad?

Is it needed?

Thanks,
    Rich

2. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Try it without. If you have a paved drive chains are gonna scratch it up. I've run them both ways. You can also throw some weight on the rear rack, it does help too.

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It sounds like you are going to need chains and maybe even put some weights on the back rack. I have plowed with and with out chains and plowing with chains makes a huge difference.

4. RichTJ99

RichTJ99 Member

This might be a dumb question but... Do I get them for front & rear, or just rear?

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

This is what I have always been tolled and this is what I do - If it's an automatic put them only on the rear and if it's a manual you can put them on the front and rear.

6. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

To be honest, if its paved and you don't see allot of ICE then no chains would be needed.

Paved and Ice, chains will make a big diff.

Gravel or dirt, chains will help allot as well.

For the most part, use 4wd and low, throw 80-100lbs on the back rack and you should be good to go

(PS, chains on the rear only if you need them)

7. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

my vote would be for chains as well they make a big differance but what type of material is the drive how much snow are you pushing and due you have drifts and such?

Pics would help.

8. RichTJ99

RichTJ99 Member

Hi,

I think I am going to get chains. My driveway is 1/2 to 3/4 to the street. It is blacktop based but steep.

I saw a set on ebay, I dont know if that is the right thing for my 2011 Kawi 750. The seller said they are a pain in the neck to install.

Any ideas if this is a good buy? I would be happy to support our website sponsors if someone has a suggestion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23056293632...em=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Thanks,
    Rich