1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need insurance???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FordFisherman, Dec 12, 2007.

1. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

VP of a company wants his lot plowed. His people shovel the walks and put down all ice control. We agreed on pricing and terms; he will be signing a release of liability form stating that myself/subs are not liable since we cannot guarantee the level of safety that we normally would provide. He owns the property and just wants it plowed. I focus more on residential but its an easy lot and decent money. Any advice? Does my residential policy cover me just in case?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

As we say,you plow for money you better have insurance. That includes residential.

3. it's a nice gesture the VP is willing to give you a liability waiver, but it WON'T protect you when an employee or resident gets in an accident, and the lawyer they got from the tv commercial they saw at 3:00 a.m.sues everybody from the architect that designed the lot to the poor guy who did a great job plowing, gotta have insurance, it's not that much money. consider it "a good nights sleep insurance".

Steve Hoogenakker
    Steve@Landscape.Pro

4. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

do you have commercial general liability insurance..... meaning that you plow for $$$

5. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

I take it you dont retain an attorny for your business and that you plow for extra income too.

6. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Do a search under insurance there are threads for days. First thing first my friend GENERAL LIABILITY INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER YOU FOR SNOWPLOWING!!!!!!
    SNOWPLOWING IS COVERED UNDER YOUR VEHICLE POLICY and it has to be a COMMERCIAL VEHICLE POLICY.If a insurance agent tells you that general liability covers snow plowing get a new insurance company and agent.It has to be a commercial policy your typical truck insurance does not cover you. Did you know if you deliver pizzas for a living you need a COMMERCIAL VEHICLE POLICY as well.

So to answer your question YES YOU NEED INSURANCE. A good attorney will find a loop hole in your waver.

RCGM
    Brad

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What is a residential policy?

Did you get this from your insurance agent?

8. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

And there you have it my friend...CYA and rest well at night.

9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Not completely accurate. General liability can cover you for snowplowing, IF the policy states it (mine does). You still need commercial auto coverage too!! Your General Liability policy would typically cover a slip/fall, failure to plow that resulted in an accident, etc. Your commercial auto policy would cover you while you are physically plowing the lot. So if you cause an accident, run over someone, etc your auto policy would cover you.

As you said though "YES YOU NEED INSURANCE" is critical!!!!!!!!!!

10. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

my agent wouldnt insure me unless they wrote my policy for my commercial auto and general liability which is fine but my point was they wrote it so it will work together and you do need both

11. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Selective Insurance has separate classifications, commercial, residential commercial(condos etc.), and residential.
    I am not covered for residential(single family homes). In my case it would cost me about 35% more than I am paying now.

12. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

If you drop your plow anywhere, but your own property you should have insurance.

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Just wondering?

My commercial policy makes no distention regarding what the propriety is used for be it a residents or a lot for a restaurant as it all is commercial plowing.

The only restriction is. radius of operation-within a 100 mile radius.

plowing for money is plowing for money, = plowing commercial.

14. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

same here. i dont know anything about the 100-mile thing but plowing for money is plowing for money. if you leave your driveway with a plow you should really have some extra insurance anyway. even if you are just driving down the road and you hit someone with a plow youre going to be in big trouble.

15. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

I would bet that many people do not really know or understand their insurance policy. I have sat down with my agent and the underwriter and discussed in detail my snow services part of my insurance. The 100 mile rule you mentioned is something I have never heard of. And yes I have sent crews past 100 miles of my shop. Also I would say different insurance companies "insure" snow services differently.

16. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

I have a signed letter from my insurance company, the agent, and the underwriter stating that my reg auto insurance will cover me if i hit someone, back into something, etc while plowing because of the area that I live in the company looks at as an "incidental". My Gen Lia. insurance covers me for slips and falls lot not getting done etc. I did ask my agent if I needed Commercial Auto and she was the one that told me know since I don't make at least 30k per season plowing. I run a legit business and yes this is to supplement my income while laid off for the winter months however I do pay tax on the income and I have my insurance that is required, also so I do not get thrown into the beer money catagory I have a min fee for resi at $30 per push and commercial is $75.

17. harley9202

harley9202 Junior Member

I plow for an insurance agent and while working for him, all I need is the commercial coverage on my truck. But if I do other lots (not under his company's contracts), I would need General Liability in case someone slips and falls, etc. After you move the snow, you are responsible.

18. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

LOL Great you have a signed paper from your agent and from the underwriter. Do they pay the claim? NOPE. Hope you don't ever need to use that insurance good Luck. WHo you have American family or Allstate?

RCGM
    Brad

19. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Now that I think of this. Going back to my original post me had this discussion back in 2000 on here 2001 and then 2002 and then I believe 2003 2004 2005 2006 and again. Guess where we got with it?No where.Because everybody on here is a insurance salesman on the side or has a buddy that sales insurance and even there dad sales it to and there cousin owns Allstate. But to some it all up we have argued in the past about General Liability,Commercial policy, etc but the moral of the story is GET INSURANCE.

RCGM
    Brad

P.S Try the search feature it works Graet.

20. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Common sense says "I need insurance."
    you may bounce off of a car or re-grade someones lawn.
    keep on truckin'