1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need extra springs?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mklawnman, Sep 10, 2003.

1. I've been doing some searching on here on F150's and found some stuff but not exactly what Im looking for. I have a 2000 F150 4x4 Off Road package with 5.4L in it. I've been reading that I might need to get extra springs put on the truck to help with the weight of the plow. I dont have a plow yet but I will be looking to buy one within the next month or two. I might be looking at getting a Sno-way or a Boss plow, not V.
    I figured the 4x4 off road package would have heavier springs and shocks because of the package so im thinking I might be ok with that?
    I also checked on the GVWR and the front is 3600 and the back is 3550. I've seen F150's that look like mine with brackets on them saying Western or Boss so I'm guessin all those will be ok for the truck.
    Any suggestions or thoughts would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Matt

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite.

What you want is a set of Timbrens.They are hollow rubber load boosters to help carry the weight of the plow.

www.timbren.com

The F150 is considered a very light duty pickup,so I wouldn't put a real heavy blade on it.I'd look at a Snoway,as they are quite a bit lighter than most plows,yet just as strong.

www.snoway.com

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Wyldman, when are you ever going to work? You seems to get to everyone threads all before we could! :D

Seriously, ditto what he said. Go with Timbren and look into lightweight plow like Sno-Way. ;) Perhaps Fisher Homesteader plow?

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'm working right now.I answer most of the stuff while I'm working.

I'm usually in the office most of the day hangin out on Plowsite.Just don't tell the boss. ;)

5. Yeah I'm trying to do some work to but with the grass so brown its no fun so gotta make the best of it and look at things for the winter time and investments.
    Do the boosters go just on the front suspension or on the rear as well? My next question is, how hard are they to put on because my dad knows a good amount about cars and axles and suspensions that maybe we could put them on ourselves considering we've replaced leaf springs before. I'd rather do it myself to save some money but if its a bit more complicated then I'd rather have a professional put them in.
    I realize the truck is light for plowing but its what was in my budgeted range and for what i use it for, personal truck and just plowing it should do fine for a few years.
    So i should stay away from any Boss or Western plows? I will definatly look into the Sno-Way plows, considering they make them 10miles from my house.
    THanks
    Matt

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Timbrens just replace the bumpstops.They bolt in place.All you need is a jack,and a socket set.

You really only need them in the front for the plow.If you carry a lot of weight in the rear,then you could put a set on the rear as well.I prefer airbags for the rear,as they are adjustable.

Here is a link to the install instructions for your truck if you want to read them.

Instructions

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Forgot to comment on the plows.The Western and Boss are good plows,but they weigh more than the same size Snoway,unless you go to a real light duty homeowner style plow.The Snoway is strong enough to hold up to commercial plowing.

Do a search,or use the FAQ page for more info on the plows.Do some reading to make an informed decision,and feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

8. I just looked at the instructions and printed out both for front and rear. I plan on putting a salter in the back and hauling some salt so I figure Ill put them on all fours.
    So what exactly do these rubber spacers do? Cause I've been told I might need to get something for my front springs and maybe different shocks??
    The instructions look pretty simple just gonna take a good afternoon to work on them but shouldnt be too bad of job.
    Thanks and yeah Ill do some searching on plows more. I've seen the snow way plows but at times I kinda think they look weak compared to the poly or steel blade ones but maybe I'm wrong. I also like the idea of not having the hydraulics on the truck when I drive around, all I will see is just the bracket for the plow hook ups and thats all.
    Thanks
    Matt

9. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I just had a Sno Way MT90 (7.6") plow installed on my 1999 Expedition, which I think is basically the same as what your F150 (same 5.4 engine). I got the stainless steel blade; the other blade just doesn't look strong to me.

Had Timbrens put on the front and back (I put them on the back because I do carry heavy stuff now and then and it will sag, so I figured I'd put them in the back as long as I was having the front done).

I've only driven with it once - last night when I drove it home. Seemed to handle fine; the extra weight was noticable, primarily when turning, but it wasn't bad. Truck didn't sag much at all with the blade lifted.

I'll try to take pictures this weekend and post them; will try to take one of the Timbrens too.

I had asked here about putting a plow on this; got some good response that made me confident enough to do it. Do a search for "Expedition" here and you may find some answers to the same questions I had.

-----
    Expedition link I mentioned above...http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10596&highlight=Expedition

Last edited: Sep 10, 2003
  10. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Timbrens are just hollow rubber springs.They work like any other spring,and increase the available spring rate of the front suspension.They don't come into play until you put a load on it,and get progressively stiffer as they compress.

You shouldn't need heavier shocks,unless yours are bad to begin with.

The install should be pretty easy.Front should take no more than 30-40 mins tops in the driveway.The rears may require longer if you have to drill any holes (some do,some don't,not sure on the F150).Still shouldn't be more than an hour for the rear.

The Snoways are pretty beefy.They still have some weak points,but will work fine on your truck.We have four of them,used hard every winter,and they have been pretty much trouble free.We have had some weld problems,but they have been rectified in the newer models.Ours are 5-6 years old.

11. I looked at the truck and found where I have to mount the rubber stoppers for the front. The rear one looks abit challenging.
    So I should probably stay under 8' for a plow.
    How much was your plow seville009?
    I'm also goin to be doin salting and was thinking about a salter for the trailer hitch instead of the nice Western mount one that mounts to the bumper and truck. Considering I do have a hard cover for the bed and during the winter I'd take it off for plowing and salting so i can put salt bags back there as well.
    Thanks
    Matt

12. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Price, including installation, but before NYS sales tax was $3,150 for the plow and $270 for each pair of Timbrens.

13. Dang for front and rear rubber spacers are expensive, considering they arent that expensive to make. Cause all you get is the rubber stoppers and bolts and nuts shouldnt be more than like $20 you'd think.
    That plow price was right around where I had expected it to be, obviously Im goin to get that installed and not do it myself.
    Matt

14. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Yeah - the Timbrens were more than I had expected. However, I looked around and the basic price seems to be in the $150-170 range for pair, so I paid about $100 per pair for installation. That was okay with me, as I have very limited mechanical skills - it would have taken me a week to install them myself and I probably would have blown up the car in the meantime.

15. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Look into sno-way and western. they are lighter than Boss snowplows. Sno-way has down pressure which is great for scraping :)

16. wyldman

wyldman Member

Those Timbrens are a lot more than just a piece of rubber.They have to hold up to all that abuse for years of plowing.They are a well made product.Do some shopping,you should be able to find them for $150-160.00 a set.

Do a search on Timbrens,and tailgate salters.You will find a wealth of information.

17. wxmn6

seville009, I think you got a bit confused about the pricing for Timbrens. To be honest, a set of Timbrens for front usually would cost around $150-$175. A set of Timbrens for rear ususally would cost around $250-$275.

I bought a set of front Timbren from GarageKeeper. No problem, very easy to deal with. You can send a private message to him for more info. on how to order it. ;)

Also, like Wyldman said, do a search on Timbrens. It has been discussed alot of times before, and those archieves should be able to help answer some questions you may have.

18. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

"seville009, I think you got a bit confused about the pricing for Timbrens. To be honest, a set of Timbrens for front usually would cost around $150-$175. A set of Timbrens for rear ususally would cost around $250-$275"

The dealer that sold them to me and installed them listed them separately on the invoice and showed $270 on each line (so the same price for both the fronts and rears).

I looked up the part number for the first line on the internet and found that they were roughly $150 or so. I didn't bother looking up the part number for the second, as I assumed that the cost would be about the same, since the dealer had them the same.

If the rears are more than the fronts, that's good, as it means that I didn't "overpay" as much as I thought.

----

Just did a quick search for both front (FF150974A) and rear (FREXP4) prices - there were identical at the one place on the internet that I looked - $144.95 per pair.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2003
  19. wxmn6

seville009 - that's fine with me. I just simply want to make sure that those other people who may be reading this thread don't think that a set of Timbrens for front end would cost that much and decide not to get a set. :) :waving:

20. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Matt,

Don't know if you're still interested, but this is a shot of the front Timbrens on my 1999 Ford Expedition

test011.jpg