1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need an auxilary/inline transmission cooler?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dannyc33, Nov 1, 2004.

1. dannyc33

dannyc33 Member

I just bought a 04 Ram 2500 and have put a Blizzard 810 plow on it. It's heavy, 950 lbs;not nearly as heavy as a trailer with mowers and wet leaves pilled 5 ft high in the bed but while pushing snow and frequent shiting it will be rurf on my transmission. I plan to do mostly residental driveways this year and shift to neighborhoods and parking lots next year. I'ld like to know your thoughts on if I'll need an auxilary/inline transmission cooler.
    Also, Dodge/Mopar sells one, would that be a good chioce if i do need one?
    I want to do this right and do a good job with no problems for my customers, and a burnt tranny won't help at all.

Any and all advice will be greatfully appreciated :waving:
    Thank you,
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

A tranny cooler is definitely a plus for a snow removal truck. With all the shifting, a cooler will help save wear and tear on the tranny. I would personally recommend getting one. I've got a diesel so I was fortunate enough to already have one from the factory. As cheap as they are, you can't go wrong. :waving:
  3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

add a transmission temp gage also.
  4. The Boss

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. :drinkup:
  5. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

you already have an inline cooler..either part of the radiator or in back/front of it...problem is when plowing your going slow so it doesnt do much...i hear cooling fins on the trans pan work better....im sure its been discussed on this site.
  6. dannyc33

dannyc33 Member

would the temp gauge come with the auxilary cooler? and where would it go? i don't want to mess up my interior, i managed to get the plow installed with out cutting anything so I'ld like to keep it stock looking if possible.
  7. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

If your getting a cooler, get one that looks like a mini radiator. Tanks on each end with little tubes running between. The ones that just have a metal tube zig zagging back and forth are not near as good.
    Put your trans temp gage in line, on the cooler line running out of the trans to the radiator....
  8. The Boss

Here's my gauge locations.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  9. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

I've heard that stacked plate coolers work even better than tube and fin coolers.
  10. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

you can get a small cooler with a fan already mounted on it to help cool the trans fluid down. what engine and trans does your dodge have?? it should already have a cooler mounted in the radiator and possibly a second one.
  11. dannyc33

dannyc33 Member

my truck has the 5.7l hemi and a 5 speed auto trans.

and I'ld like to thank everyone so far for all your help :salute: :drinkup:
  12. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Hey Danny,

I have a 2000 Ram 2500 and it has the aux tranny cooler factory, I'm surprised yours does not. It also has an idiot light on the dash which is supposed to illuminate to let you know the tranny is getting hot. Problem is I don't know what temp the fluid has to reach to set that light off so I'm afraid to rely on it, I think I'm going to get the gauge installed to be safe. I'm pretty sure I've read comments from the other guys here, who know a hell of alot more than I do, that you should not let the fluid temp get much over 250 degrees. If I'm wrong, someone add to the thread please!

One thing I do know though, and I thought this was really weird. On my truck, the tranny fluid does not circulate while it's in PARK, so you have to sit idling in NEUTRAL with your foot on the brake while allowing the tranny to cool off. This is per the owner's manual. It's good to know because I think most of us, not knowing that, would sit in park and if you do the thing is just sitting there 'baking', which would be a bad thing.

Hope this helps you. Good luck.
  13. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Hey Boss,

Where'd you get the gauge cluster, down at the local truck/auto parts store, an aftermarket catalog like JC Whitney, online, from your Dealership, or where? You install yourself?

I'm asking because I want to put one in myself, was wondering the rough cost and the best place to buy a good one.