1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need a trans temp indidator?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Craftybigdog, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Hey guys I have a 01 Dodge 3/4 ton with the cummins and it has the idiot light for the trans would you still get a gauge. If so where is the best place to tap it in at? I have a temp port in my mag tech dep trans pan, thanks alot!

2. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

gauge

The experts will chime in soon . The widom is the idiot light indicates after its to late . I question why Dodge would let there transmission cook before telling us its time to let things cool down .

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

thats why they call it an IDIOT light

john

4. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

yes

But they can pick any temp for it to activate . Would tahtmake them the idi_ _ ts

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yes,get a gauge.You can get the older style cooler line and put it there for the most accurate readings.You could also put it the pan,it's easier,and more consistant.

It doesn't take much to get these trannies hot,mine hit over 260 today (hammering over 500 hp through it :D).By the time the light comes on,it's too late,your already doing damage.

6. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

So which gauge do you recommend I like the stearing wheel column pod that summit has. So its okay to use that tap in my pan that will be a good place to get a reading? How hot can I expect my trans to get while plowing? One more thing when you plow with your dodge do you just plow in 4HI?

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd put it in the pan,if you already have the fitting there.I usually run 160-200 when plowing in 4WD HI.Most i ever hit is 240 pushing very long runs of heavy snow.Let it cool down for a bit if it gets that hot,and always idle in neutral to cool it off.You will have very little cooler flow in park.

I always plow in 4HI,there isn't much my truck won't push like that.Only used 4LOa handful of times.You'll know when the truck is labouring to push.

8. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I have an Autometer trans temp gauge #2551 I bought in 95 . I am thinking about putting it in my Ram . I am losing faith with the factory light . This way I will be able to see what the light actually indicates . Chris has you noticed at what temp the light activates ?

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

It usually comes on at anything over 240-250 is,but is not responsive to rapid temp rises.

10. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

When I was replacing my transmission lines, I just used some JIC T-fittings, and tapped into the lines for ports. With Wyldman's advice, I put one sender in the hot line going to the cooler, and ordered another sender for 13 bucks, and put it in the cool line coming out of the cooler. Then, I wired it into a 3 way switch, so when I flip the switch I can see how effective my cooler is. The install isn't bad, you just take the line off and tap in. So far, the most I have got mine up to is 125 degrees, but haven't stomped it for a while:p
    Wyldman-what temp is it dangerous enough to pull over and cool down? I was thinking 200.

11. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

Chris, PM me, got a question for you. I guess I can't PM you so...and your email address is wrong or something.

Thanks

Blake
    WA

12. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

Never mind, I got it answered.

Blake
    WA