1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need a second harness to wire up cab marker lights?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by erichy, Nov 5, 2010.

1. erichy

erichy Junior Member

I just went to the dealer and told him three times when I ordered the harness for my truck that the instructions said if I had cab marker lights I need a second 61185 park turn harness. He told me he has done this for years and I don't need it. I have the new harness and it says I need it also. Do I need this thing or what? I figure you guys will know. My truck is a 1999 F250 Superduty diesel and I'm wiring up a Unimount.

2. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Western strongly recommend's the use of the 61185 module to power the marker lights on the plow as the wiring in the truck is marginal and not very accomidating to add-on's to the system, both for the plow parking lights and turn siginals .

Many installing dealers do not use these to keep costs down , Most reputable shops use some form of protection such as the module or a relay.

With that being said , I have very rarely used the 61185 module (unless the customer wants to use it or it is a carry out / self install) to power the plow parking lights and usually use a simple relay to use power from the battery to power them. The module is expensive and you basically only use half of it when powering the park lights with it. I do use them on the plow turn siginals though.

I have many of the 61185 modules if you want one at a good price , let me know , I will be leaving tomorrow night for a week but I may be able to help anyway, email me if you need one, tomsnastyz@yahoo.com.

FWIW , the relay would be wired as follows if you use it instead:

Termnal 30 : Fused power from Battery
    Terminal 87: To brown light wire in Western harness
    Terminal 85 : Ground
    Terminal 86 : From Parking light wire on truck

Hope this helps.

TOM

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  3. erichy

erichy Junior Member

Awesome info Nasty. Thanks for taking the time to write that up, that's what I needed to know. I have the old harness that came with the plow so I'll use a relay from that. Thanks again.

4. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

You got it , good luck with the install. :)

TOM

5. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Hey man i just noticed your from wilson-Give me a call, I work for a guy that has a account that needs to be taken care of out that way. Maybe another too if your interested.

(716) 628-1789

6. erichy

erichy Junior Member

Cool I'll give you a call later today.