1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need a power steering cooler?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BPK63, Oct 3, 2013.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

92 K1500 - mid last winter during a storm of course the power steering fluid started just pouring out onto the ground. Somebody on here helped me identify that it was a power steering cooler as I could not figure where it was coming from, dripping from under the bumper. I cut it out and joined the hoses and was back in business. Should I replace before this winter or not really necessary? I don't use this truck for much but driving in the snow and plowing my own driveway. It does have fairly large aggressive tires on it though, came that way stock.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would. Is it the kinda that's just a tube that loops around everything? Or is it the "fin" cooler type?

3. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

If you don't drive it much you probably don't need it, especially if most of that driving is when the ambient temps are low (winter). If you used it to plow for hours straight I'd say go ahead and do it. I'd guess the cooler was added for running for long hours in high ambient temps.

4. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

We had that issue once. Did the same fix. We ran the truck several years like that and it was not an issue. It was a dedicated plow truck with an 8 hour route.

5. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

It was a very small cooler like a u shape tube with some fins. Hard to even see it in front of the radiator. Had to take the grill off to get to it in the middle of a storm. Murphy's law. I mostly drive this in cold weather so I guess I'll be ok.

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I can honestly tell you I've never heard of anyone overheating their power steering fluid. I think you'll be ok.

7. bswalks

bswalks Member

Me, I'd just replace it. It's a cheap part & easy to do.

If it does overheat, you can try switching out the power steering fluid with synthetic atf.
    That fluid will take more heat.