1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need a new master cylinder?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 1977/85scottspecial, Sep 9, 2003.

1. 1977/85scottspecial

1977/85scottspecial Member
    from Indiana

I converted my rear drums to discs. I did the conversion with the front brakes off of a 77. Do I need a new master cylinder for more pressure? I would also like to get rid of the big brake booster in there. I have seen high power cylinders without the booster. The axle is a corp 14 bolt. The frame is a 74' with the big front discs. It is a 3/4 ton by the way. Thanks, Alex

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The master should work OK,but you may have to change,or recalibrate the proportioning\metering valve for the rear disks.

Does it work OK now,is it better with the rear discs ?

I wouldn't bother with a smaller booster.If I was going to upgrade to anything it would be a hydroboost setup.

3. 1977/85scottspecial

1977/85scottspecial Member
    from Indiana

Can't tell you how it performs, its a build up. Just wondering what I need for when I put it all together. Thanks

4. 84406

84406 Junior Member
    from canada

I believe the 4 disk master and the 2 front disk master are different in so much as the the disks require a 2 psi hold off and the drums a 10 psi hold off. My exact numbers could be off but you get the idea. Some have the restriction in the master and some have it in the combi valve. Check out those problems.
    Bob

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Put it all together first,and see how it works.If your still having problems,do a web search,as I can't remember what I did with the link on recalibrating the combination valve to work better with the rear disks.