1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

do i need a new blower?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by christophero, Mar 16, 2002.

1. christophero

christophero Junior Member
    from alaska

My heater stopped working last night. I checked fuses and visually inspected the wiring.
    Next, I used a screwdriver handle to bang on the motor housing. Now my heater works.
    Anyone know if this means I need a new blower?
    My truck is an 87 gmc Burb.
    Thanks for any advice or info.
  2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

if you hit it and it started working then the motor should be fine i would check for a loose connection at the motor it self or for a obstruction in the motor housing
  3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

'87 has the same style heater blower motor/fan and housing as all the '73 - '87 series trucks, and the motor should be fairly easy to access for replacement.

Did you give the actual motor a hit, or the sheet metal housing that the motor/fan assembly bolts into?

If it was the motor itself, the fact that after giving it a "whack" with the screwdriver handle it started working makes me think the motor is getting tired - brushes - and may be due for a replacement.

If on the other hand it was the housing that you hit, it could be what Karl mentions - the fan binding up. Does it make any odd squealing or howling noises when the fan is running? If it does, the fan may be rubbing somewhere on the inside of the housing.
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Spend $8 for a new fan resistor unit and try that first. Thats usually the first thing to go on any GM product.
  5. chevy

chevy Member

Check the ground wire from the blower motor to the heater box. Make sure you have a good ground first, then check for power with a test light to the motor with the switch on if you have power with a good ground the motor is shot. If you don't have power check the relay located next to the blower motor with a test light. To do this not all wires will have power going thorough them at all times you'll have to play with the high/low switch in the cab. The thick red wire will be your constant power wire, the rest help control motor speed. Sometimes the wires going to the relay over heat and short out the relay or the wires lose good contact with the relay. Any way good luck electrical gremlins are so #%@!* cool.
  6. christophero

christophero Junior Member
    from alaska

thank you, everyone. Rob, there is no bad noise when I run the heater. Perhaps the Alaska winter
    had something to do with the motor sticking. Another thing I noticed was the light that illuminates
    the switch in the dash went out, actually before the motor stuck. I don't think the two would be
    related. Thanks again to everyone for the good advice :eek:)