1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need a lift?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Supremeteam, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Supremeteam

Supremeteam Junior Member
    from Mass

I have been trying to get this plow shop to finish installing my first plow and now that they are almost done I think my truck looks a little low. I know that may tail end really saggs when I put any weight on it and I would like to resove that also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Timbrens!:waving:

3. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

I know Timbrens have been discussed a million times on here but I was wondering how much flex you lose in the suspension? I use my truck offroad alot in the off season and I need all the flex I can get. I guess I could take them off in the spring when I pull my plow frame off.

4. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

Supremeteam, is that a 1500? what is the size of the plow? I would say you are taxing the suspension too much. It may be too late but could you go with a poly plow? I place ballast behind the rear axle of my K2500 and when the plow is raised it squats the whole truck evenly. The Timbrens would do the trick but you are still putting 10 pounds of work on a 5 pound suspension.

That is an '88 like mine based on the light config. great truck!

5. Supremeteam

from Mass

Yes that is a 1500 but I haven't even tried to pick up the blade because it's the older style conventional plow and the pump isn't hooked up yet.

The blade is a 7.5 foot, I got the whole setup for $600.00. The truck is an 89 and I love it. I drive it more than the Harley. What should I do beside the Timbrens. I don't mind changing the shocks or struts all long as it doesn't run me too much. I need some direction. In the summer I carry my 4wheeler in the back and it sags so low it's ridiculous.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2003
  6. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

Wow...a 4 wheeler squats the rear? do you have broken springs...just a thought or maybe they are just weak and need to be re-arched. Timbrens front and rear would work. Be sure to have the springs checked out.

As luck would have it (mine anyway!) you will find any weakness in the truck in the middle of a storm at 3:00 am.

7. Supremeteam

from Mass

I will check the springs if they look fine then I will go to a Spring shop and speak to them about being re-arched. I really would like to have a stronger suspention, maybe one that would be on a 2500 or 3500. That way I'm covered for anything.

8. VictoryRedK1500

VictoryRedK1500 Member

The owner of the company that I work for has a truck like your's, only his is an '88 Cheyenne 1500. He's used it on his farm for the past 11 years or so, and believe it or not it still has the original auto tranny and engine. It's hard to believe since he's used the truck to haul a gooseneck cattle trailer loaded with Polled Herefords and a float loaded with hay. His leaf springs are nearly flat in the back from hauling so much weight over the years. Last summer I drove the truck and it still runs really good. I agree with the other guys suggestions on having your leaf springs rearched. While they have your springs off the truck, I also recommend you look into having a leaf or two added to your spring pack. This will stiffen up the rear end a lot, so that will make it easier to haul your 4 wheeler. Best of luck.