1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need a D.O.T. number?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by blackDiesel, Sep 2, 2010.

1. blackDiesel

blackDiesel Member

If I plow with my personal truck for another company (sub contract) and don't have a business in my name, do I need a DOT number on my truck?

2. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Might should check w/ the Department of Transportation

3. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Only if your GVWR is over 10,000 lbs. What kind of truck and how's it set-up?

4. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

you don't have to have them unless your GVW is over 10000# or you haul a trailer. but since you are doing commercial work it can't hurt cause some law enforcement officers can be over zealous in their duties and try to ticket you. this is what i was told when i called the Department of Transportation.

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

To clarify, over 10k and used commercially (to make money or as a business vehicle).

6. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

or up to the DOT officer you run into,way to many grey area's. lol

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

It's an extremley easy thing to get, so if I were you, I would go ahead and get it. It's alot easier to explain why you have one, than it is to come up with a reason you don't have it.

8. blackDiesel

blackDiesel Member

Good info, I appreciate your time everyone... I have a 2500 Chevy with a straight blade Boss 8'2 on it. Its not lettered commercially, so in other words its a pickup with a plow. I believe the company that I would be working for requires me to put a magnet on the sides depicting their name. other than that, I would have a hard time believing the truck is over 10,000 lbs??? Still get a D.O.T number?

9. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

You should be fine unless your running a big salter loaded to the gills, in which case you will be overweight for the truck's GVWR anyway, so you would end up with a ticket just the same. You should be good to go without it unless of course you pull a trailer regularly for commercial use. For just plowing though, no worries.

10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

No, if you dont cross state lines.

11. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Nope, a 3/4 ton's GVWR is under 10k, you can verify this on your door sticker. No DOT number needed.

In terms of crossing state lines, the criteria is the same on whether or not you need a DOT number. The difference is if not crossing state lines, you simply need to have it available upon request (in the truck somewhere, in your memory, etc.). If crossing state lines, it needs to be displayed on the outside of the vehicle. Again, the criteria doesn't change, but the display requirements do. We put the numbers on the trucks to make everyone's lives a little simpler, even though it's not technically required. I can't expect employees to know our DOT number off hand, and it's just as easy to stick them on when having the truck lettered.

12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Your GVW is likely 9600 so, no DOT # is required. You may have a magnetic sign, but is your vehicle registered & insured for commercial work? That would be the bigger issue.

13. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

State lines don't matter in WI and most other states. As everyone has said, 10000# and over for commercial use, even if you're staying within the state.

14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

1. Question: Who needs to obtain a Michigan Intrastate USDOT number?
    Answer: All carriers or operators of commercial motor vehicles that operate solely in the state of Michigan. A Commercial Motor Vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in commerce as defined in Act 181, PA 1963, CFR 49, part 390.5 when the vehicle:
    o Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 10,001 lbs. or more, whichever is greater; or
    o Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
    o Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
    o Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 51 transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter 1, subchapter C.

Guys I am pretty sure you are all giving him some bad info. As you can see it is vehicles with GVWR, GCWR, GVW, or GCW of over 10,000 lbs. I can assure you, any 3/4 ton is going to have a GCWR of over 10,000 lbs, which means basically ANYONE IN MICHIGAN WITH A 3/4 ton or bigger WORK TRUCK needs a MI DOT number. Now, to the OP, I would hope you would man up and go legit with this plowing. Go legit, pay taxes, get your DOT and insurance. If you wanna be a hack, I guess that's your choice.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  15. JDiepstra

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

17. JDiepstra

18. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

IL State Troopers all say no DOT number needed unless crossing state lines unless your talking some big weight otherwise they dont care. They just see the semi's hauling gravel and blacktop and smile...payup

19. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I looked up Illinois, and they are not one of the states where you need a number if you're operating intrastate ( within state lines ).

20. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I never had a DOT number and no one ever cared. just my 2cents.