1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need A cutting edge?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Grant9454, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Grant9454

Grant9454 Member

Hi everyone we just got our fisher HT installed today and it does not have a cutting edge on it. One of my dads friends who does the plowing for all the towns schools said we need one but is this true? And if not when would be the appropriate time to put one on? Thanks for your help!!
  2. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

i think they are similar to women. Some guys think they need them. Others do just fine with out them.
  3. Grant9454

Grant9454 Member

That is a great answer to that question!! But it won't hurt the plow to not have one?
  4. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

naaaaa, they are over rated.
  5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Wow are you a Blondie
  6. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

WTF??? IF you bought it new it should have one and if it dont you better be getting one. Do some research good god
  7. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Does your plow truck need an engine?
  8. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

What the hell? Why didn't you plow come with a cutting edge? And what makes you think you don't need one? Seriously?
  9. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

No, but someone left out the crank at the factory.

Post a picture, kinda curious
  10. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry.
  11. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

Laugh so hard you cry?
  12. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I bought a great shovel but it didn't come with a handle.
  13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Fisher plows don't come with cutting edge.You can either put one on right away or wear down the trip edge a little then put one on.
  14. Grant9454

Grant9454 Member

Thanks grandview I am new to this guys and I knew that the cutting edge was an option with fisher plows Im just not sure if I really need one right away or not?
  15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

if you are not running height shoes i would put it on......if you are and the edge is running on the ground you could wait....all depends how much you are going to plow
  16. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

That's interesting. Learn something new everyday.
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Some guys say the extra weight from a cutting edge is a good thing on the HT. Helps with chatter.

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

For the guys that don,t think you need a edge.Why would you want to prematurely wear down your mold board?When the cutting edge gets worn out and you are now on the mold board.Then you run it all little longer then you should nownyou just wore down the some of that board.At about $350 on a 8' a $175 edge is money well spent.
  19. Grant9454

Grant9454 Member

Alright guys thanks for the input went back to the dealer today an he actually just gave us an edge for free the first time!! So I will put it on it definatkey won't hurt
  20. jhenegh

jhenegh Member
    from Indiana

That's definitely the right thing to do in my opinion! Good for him