1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I have to join SIMA to be a commercial contactor ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dave Jr, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Dave Jr

Dave Jr Junior Member
    from md

I was told by a few people in the snowplowing gig that I would need to be a member of this snow and ice group to plow snow commercially . Is this true ? Any ups and down to this association ? It seems kind of weird that I would need to sign up for this . Very expensive for me since I'm just trying to start up in a new field .

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You definitely DO NOT need to be a member of SIMA to be a commercial contractor.

I just became a member last year but prior to that I had been plowing professionally for 10+ years.

BTW - SIMA is a very worthwhile investment. Just from a networking standpoint it's worth every penny IMO.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No, who ever told you that is smoking something. Check out my sig for details though.

4. Premier

Premier Senior Member

I saw this on the list and had to come in and see how long it was going to take you to get a post in on this one. :laughing:

On a side note, once i get some checks rolling in and get some of those xmas bills payed off i am going to be joining, I want to take advantage of the CSP training.

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

seems like jd dave made another name to ask random questions about sima so he can direct people to his site to try and sign them up.

6. Dave Jr

Dave Jr Junior Member
    from md

What does sima do for you as a contractor? Do they help get you work ? It seems like a lot of money for a guy like me just getting started . What and who is this geared for ?

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah I'm abit of a *****. LOL
    Don't be a hater.;)
    Ihave never got offered work through Sima but others have mentioned that they have. I would not count on that though. Sima has production rate sheets, contract info and when you join you can get a buddy that will hopefully answer some of your business questions. You get out of Sima what you put in. You also get a magazine which is pretty good. It's not for everyone. Sima also has alot of online classes that can teach you anything form business, sales to salting. You can learn alot on Plowsite also. Good Luck

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

No kidding. I was pretty surprised that I got my post in before he did :cool:

9. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I know that some property managers require you to be a member of "something". We have one that said we would need to join ACMO (Assoc of Condo Managers of Ontario) as a trade member to have contracts with them. We never joined and did keep the contracts. It is possible that there are some managers that would want you to be a member to plow their contracts. I have never had it come up in Ontario though.

10. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Its a good idea to sign up, agreed with that but stay away from :nono:JD Dave:nono:, His whole thing on signing up for SIMA is a scam. If you do sign up mention Columbia Landscape Corp. Thanks:jester::jester:

11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I get the SIMA magazine without being a member. Whats up with that?

12. TJ Fed

TJ Fed Member
    from Indiana

Hey Dave could you send me a message kinda of explaing more in depth what SIMA does ive heard it alot on here and am considering joining it. Thanks TJ

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

if you guys need the real skinny on SIMA ,call me and I'll personal sign you up.!