1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I have the right Idea?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Prodigious7, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Prodigious7

Prodigious7 Junior Member

Ok, So, I have been reading some of the things that have been posted about what I "should" do before I get started with my new business. So.. I have no previous plowing experience and I am in the process of getting business liability coverage.

With that said, I had some money saved up and paid 3000 dollars for a snow plow set up as well as his clients. I went and did a bid for a guy who owns 9 buildings for business offices. I calculated out just over 58k sq ft of area that needed to be plowed or shoveled. My going rate for snow is $55/hour and for laying of salt is 25/hour. On top of the salt I charge the company my .01 cents/ sq yrd. more then my cost. my bid for everything plowed and salted was $295.95. That was with .02 cents per sq yrd. I did that isntead of my normal .04 to stay closer to the quote in which the person I bought my stuff from had to help ensure that I would get his business. The person before me had quoted $225-255 every time he plowed. He ended up only wanting the major entry ways and shaded sides of the buildings done so my end quote was 197.50. Do I have the right Idea here? Am I low balling? This is an early starting business so I thought I would try for restaurants and banks for more business to give me more time to plow since I only have one vehicle.