1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I Have Enough Ballast Weight?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BladeScapes, Oct 9, 2007.

1. BladeScapes

BladeScapes Junior Member

What's up guys!! I have a 98 Ford F150 4.6 Liter Ext Cab 4x4, and am about to buy a used Meyer STL-7'6. I am mostly going to be plowing residential accounts, and had a few ?s. I am installing timbrens in the front, and am going to have about a 250# snow thrower in the bed-Is that enough ballast?-I heard at least half the weight of your plow.(My plow should be 520# or so total. Should I put more salt/sand in the back? What If I have 500# in the bed? Is that too much for the small F150? Does anybody plow residential with a small trailer on the back? Is It too hard to back up? Please let me know guys.

98 Ford F-150 4X4
    Meyer STL-7"6

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go 500lbs, and make sure the snowblower is secure. No trailer. The smaller the trailer is, the harder it is to back up. Residential plowing involves a lot of backing. A lot. And not just backing, but backing into roadways that are slippery and reduced visibility. I think it could be done, but it would take too much time, add too much aggravation and be dangerous.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: Ditto

4. BladeScapes

BladeScapes Junior Member

Actually I'm Getting the ST-7'5" not the STL. It weights bout 656 pounds.

5. RipT

RipT Senior Member

I run now with almost 800 lbs in a 3/4 ton and a Western 7.5 PolyPlow. Started with 300, then upped to 500....got better the more weight I had. I would start with 500.

Do not even THINK of a trailer while plowing.....you will regret it immediately.

Some types of ATV ramps would work well. Otherwise weld up some with heavy non-flattened expanded metal for the surface.

Another alternative would be a good fabricated hitch-mounted carrier - most of the ones you can buy are very flimsy however. You can design it with a tilt deck for quick easy loading. Just do not back into anything....easier said than done ALL THE TIME!

While probably more than you need to get into at this point, some folks have found good deals on used TommyLifts....they are pretty heavy, so solves most of your ballast issue at the same time.