1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I have a right to be upset???

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by CornerStoneProp, Oct 16, 2010.

1. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

I was one of the people that found the problems with the hydros on my VX85. I took it to a local dealer who replaced all hydros.. When I picked it up, nothing would work because they installed the hoses wrong. I leave it there overnite and they fixed it. I was then in the middle of plowing a driveway, and the plow was stuck on the ground as there was a leak that I did not detect. I manage to get the plow up enough to bring it back. They find another defective part and replace it. This whole time since the replaced hydros, the lift cylinder is very loud. This year I decide to bring the unit back to the dealer and pay them for a preseason checkup and flush. They also replace the lift cylinder again as they determine it is defective. I pickup the unit and find that the dealer left the plow in the up position all day from 10AM till I get there at 6PM. The wings were both full extended as well as to put as much pressure on the system as possible. I tested the plow right there and all functions were as brand new I was very happy. Yesterday I go to take the plow off the truck since it was raining when I got home and I simply did not feel like it last night. I parked nowhere near where I need to keep the plow for it to be out of the way and out of the dirt. Start the truck and turn on the controller. Press the lift and NOTHING! I check the connection between the truck and plow and there was only a small amount of grease in it. I grabbed the air compressor and blasted out a ton of water. Remade connections and now all I hear is the pump working and nothing! I go to check the lift cylinder and can move it up and down by hand. This means no fluid not low fluid... I look more carefully and it has leaked all night. I left the plow all the way down when I parked it so the only thing I can think of is a hose is not all the way tight, or they did damage by leaving the plow up the whole time. The dealer's solution is to high-chain it and bring it down. I explained to them that this is not going to work for me as I can only get the plow a couple inches off the ground and I don't want to damage my cutting edge because they made a mistake. The plow worked fine when I took it down just loud for lifting. Now I can't even use it at all... Am I wrong to expect someone to come to my house to fix it? I paid for a flush and preseason check and now it does not work at all... Or should I just do as they ask and risk hitting the ground for a 30 min drive...

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Sounds to me like its time to get a boss. if that was my plow I would not put up with that.
  3. mikegooseman

mikegooseman Senior Member

I think they should cater to you and with no questions asked, drive and make the effort to please you, and most importantly , make face and save their REP....if they even care! just by reading what you wrote here......I can tell how PISSED you are !...so am I....No you should stay put and let them come to you....after all you are the customer. :realmad:
  4. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

I agree with Mike, We install and service plows including SnowDogg. Seems to me that someone is not paying attention to the work they are doing. In the 4 years of dealing with SnowDogg we haven't seen anything like that so I believe its the dealer, but I am not there. If I was in the dealers shoes I would have your plow picked up and get the problem taken care of and keep the customer happy, assuming nothing happened to the plow on the way home from the shop.
  5. mikegooseman

mikegooseman Senior Member

Thanks plowfixguys.... all I am saying is regardless of who's mistake it is, he is the customer in this case and they should NOT be asking him to do all the leg work. Its just funny how peoples attitude change once they have OUR money and the deal is done, not nice at all. :mad: And finally, why would they even attempt to make him drive 30 min when they know the plow is far from being fully functional ? If he goes over a bump and damages any hardware on the plow or his truck, WHO PAYS THAT BILL ? ....... just my opinion guys
  6. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

If I recall the op bought the plow from esi and had the local dealer do the warranty work. This may be some of the dealers reasoning. Not saying it is right but they did not sell the plow to him.
  7. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

You could be right djagusch, but as in any business the customer deserves your very best no matter who made the sale. If you accept the "warranty" work make it right no matter what. I also have an auto repair shop and treat all customers the same and do it right the first time no matter who started it and who's paying for it. The bottom line is, without customers you have no business and without business you have no money, and money is why we are in business.
  8. CornerStoneProp

Just wanted to say thanks for the reply. I know that this dealer does care and have been perfectly pleasant thru this issue. you may notice that I left the dealers name out as it would look bad on them and they shouldn't be looked at that way. Yes it was purchased at ESI and I would buy from them again. Yes the dealer is in CT but is getting paid by Snow Dogg for warranty labor. The part that bothers me is that I took the unit into a professional to be serviced so I would not go down. The unnamed dealer I think needs to step up and come fix it...
  9. CornerStoneProp

I have decided that I did not buy it from the dealer in CT and have taken it there for warranty service. Working in the service industry, I understand that onsite service is an expensive tool to offer so I had a friend load the plow into the back of the truck for easy transport to the dealer. The trip is about 30 min so it is no big deal. I will let everyone know what happens as they have me on the schedule on Friday first thing in the AM...
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Why don't you just jack the thing up underneath the A-Frame, and short chain it up like that?

Common sense to me.:dizzy:
  11. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Ok not going to get into any fight over who is right just going to give a opinion. CornerStoneProp its not a matter of who is right or who is wrong its about equipment and knowledge. At a breakdown the operator or owner must be able to overcome any problem to complete the task. The first rule is stuff breaks new or old it is going to fail.Knowledge of equipment can keep it working with a few tweaks ea.swapping lines,short chaining,jacking,pining, anything to keep in on the ground pushing snow. I understand that it is hard to be out of the game but you have to find a way to keep it running.Have you looked at the flow pattern and know how the plow works what you can do to just lift the plow or do you carry a jack if it fails so you can get it off the ground by short chaining.Do you know what lines to bleed to relive pressure if you have it stuck in a angle? Do you know how to override the controller with jumpers to control valves to make it do things it is not designed to do ? Lots of lessons are learned by failure I have had plenty in the 30+ years of this type work be happy its is early in the season and you found the problems now and be prepared for more to come and just be ready for them cuz its going to happen over and over again and you cant be broke down waiting on the dealer to fix it when your customer is waiting for service. Just my 2cents
  12. CornerStoneProp

The reason I did not high-chain the plow is that it would be all of 2 inches off the ground and hit every bump on the 30 Minute ride. I did not feel that after I paid money to have a professional service the plow that was working just fine that I should have to spend my time and fuel to bring it back. In the end, I did high-chain it to a buddy's shop and I used is forklift to put the plow in the bed of the truck. Just last night, I dropped it back off at the dealer so we will see what happens...
  13. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

it sucks but i agree that you needed to take it back to them for it to be fixed. i don't understand why short chaining only gave you a couple of inches, with my fisher short chaining would put it a foot into the air.

btw, sell this plow. go buy something different. take the loss, write it off and move on.
  14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Very knowledgeable stuff right there. I had to learn most all of those tricks last year while my controller was acting up. Caused a slew of problems for me in the middle of the night 50 miles from my house. Had to do a lot of those things to get the plow back in the air and get it home and finish a drive that I was in the middle of plowing.
  15. CornerStoneProp

Looks to be the valve block for the 3rd time. This time they are using the redesigned parts. Also I guess I had a mouse so I need to replace the plowside control harness. Lets hope this is the end of my problems with a brand new unit...
  16. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

See no biggie!.... The valve block was redesigned on it. I made sure before I got my VX95 on order that it would be the new one by checking the serial code and asking those questions about it. Buyers is nice to deal with... Same with Meyers in my experience. The mouse thing would not be their fault so its not really applicable as a complaint toward the manufacturer... but you know that. I have to say that the short chain is confusing because I know that you can adjust the links in the chain to be locked in any link you can lift it to. At least on my MD75 I can take my E TIRE jack and jack it up and chain it at the highest link. Just adjust the chain like you did after the install (if you had any delay you wanted to tighten up)... Hmm interesting. I haven't had the VX95 installed yet so IDK about the VX series chain system... I would hope it is similar or the same setup for the lift arm and the chain cover. (basically pot it off adjust the chain lock it and back on if I remember correctly). all I needed was my lil mechanics kit in my truck.
  17. CornerStoneProp

I was able to short chain it, but with the weight of the plow on a 250, it drops the front a good 1-1 1/2 inches. I have the plow prep package so I am sure it can be worse, but I was only able to lift it high enough just to clear the ground. I have a friend down the street a little ways that has a forklift so I just took it to him and had him put it in the bed of the truck. I am still awaiting the repair as they had to replace the valve block as well as the reservoir which was leaking as well. I just find it hard to believe that all these problems happened all on their own as the plow was just sitting hooked to the truck and all the way down. Makes no sense that it worked fine on the way home and not now.
  18. CornerStoneProp

Well the plow is completely fixed and working just fine. I was able to replace the wire harness on the plow side myself to save a couple bucks and learn a thing or two in the process. Everything is working perfect so I guess I am no longer upset. Lets see if it works well this year or it will be time to give up on it...