1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I have a full or semi-floating axle?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GLS, Mar 31, 2003.

1. GLS

GLS Senior Member

I have been searching for a while now, and I didn't have any luck. So here goes:

Does my truck have a full-floating rear axle, or a semi-floating rear axle? How can I tell the difference?

The truck is a 1995 K2500 (8600 GVW--8 lug, not LD).

I've been wondering for a while now:confused:
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Go pull the rear centercap off, if there is something stickingout through the rim its a full floater, if not, its just a semifloater.

I think you have just a semi floater.

3. VictoryRedK1500

VictoryRedK1500 Member

I believe Snowybowtie is right...i also think you have the semi-floater. I saw a picture of your truck here not too long ago from the rear, and I was able to see the rear axle on your truck. It is the 9.5" GM 14 bolt, which has the "semi-round" shaped pumpkin. The 10.5" Gm full floater is pointy shaped at the bottom of the pumpkin. Hope this makes sense to you. I've seen 88-98 GM 2500 HD's with both the full floater and semi floater, and it makes me curious as to why they do that. It is supposed to be an HD....why not stick with the 10.5"? Must be they are just using what is readily available in the parts bin.

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Lighter = better fuel mileage. That is what the 80's brought to all vehicles. After the gas crunch, plastic started replacing many parts that were metal, and aluminium started replacing cast iron (hence the NP 208).

If your rear axle end looks like this (minus all the rust) you have the 14 bolf FF 10.5" ring gear.

More info on the 14 bolt FF here

5. sschario

sschario Member

I have a '93 C2500 and a '94 K2500. Both are 8600GVW and have the full-floater like Chuck describes.

6. VictoryRedK1500

VictoryRedK1500 Member

7. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Thank you all for the replies.

It must be 9.5" semi floater, as there is no [whatever you call it] like in chucks picture.

Steve: Do those trucks have either a 454 or diesel? I thought I read somewhere that those two engines get the full-floater, but the 350 comes with the semi.

Thanks again for the help
  8. VictoryRedK1500

VictoryRedK1500 Member

I think you've found the answer to the question as to why your truck has the 9.5". The 350 has got to be the reason. Dang, I should have known that. LOL:D
  9. sschario

sschario Member

Sorry, I have to correct myself. :eek:

My C2500 has a 454 and FF. My K2500 has a 350 and SF. I realized this morning that I have not had the K2500 apart yet, so I went out and checked. Looks like the engine may be the key?