1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I Have A Bent Frame?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by NickColetti, Feb 23, 2012.

1. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

I know this has probably been discussed many times on here, and there are probably threads that i would be able to see.. but my searches have been a bit frustrating. Seems that i may have a bent A frame issue... but maybe some of these things im going to post will be able to ring a bell in someones eyes.

I just bought this plow this season... and im hitting myself in the face for not noticing it at the time i purchased... but the driver side cutting edge was worn around 1.5" more than the passenger side. Should of been the sign right there, im sure... :cry:

Heres what it looks like from the front with the wings both fully in towards the truck. See the driver side wing is almost at the ground where the passenger side is a few inches up? Also notice that the center point on my truck grill does not line up with the center pin on the middle joint of the plow.

[​IMG]

Then, this is the picture with the bottom cutting edges line up in a straight line. The picture after this one is the same position on the plow, just the top on the blade. You see how the top is not exactly straight like it is on the bottom?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One more post coming so i can add extra pictures...

2. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

Lastly, i have taken a picture of a bubble in the steel that i found along with some broken weld areas. Obviously, i know that this is not right, but would this little area translate into that much off in the wings of the plow?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any info would be awesome! If its something easy to fix, i may tackle it myself... if not, ill probably just call around to see what price i can get it done for.

Sucks to find this out after a few pushes, but i get that's what i get for not catching it.:mad:

3. chad1234

chad1234 Junior Member
    from 48348

Looks like you've got a bent A frame. Better replace that before you buy a new cutting edge

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Thats the worst bent A-frame I've seen. Did you hit anything really hard? I think I can see where its bent where the A-frame goes into the red center section. Thats where your cutting edges are getting un-even wear on them

5. chad1234

chad1234 Junior Member
    from 48348

Take it to Clydes in Pontiac they can bend it back ( it needs to be on the truck)

6. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

tweeked

Your BOSS has been twisted at the "A" frame and most likely your center section is tweeked as well.

Had this happen on a new 9.2 VXT a couple of years back after hitting a manhole cover
    at 8mph. Had to replace both parts, lucky for me the plow was new and BOSS covered the parts and labour...

Yours happens to look worse then mine did, so I think your looking at both parts to get it back in shape.

Goodluck with it

Al

7. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

Ughhh!!! It was bad when i bought it, now that im looking back at it and remembering the cutting edges were wearing differently. I know i have hit some things, including a curb at a pretty good speed... maybe i have made it worse?!

Either way... you cant win! Its what i get for buying it without having it professionally checked out... next time i now know what to look for!

Thanks for helping me out, guys! You guys are awesome! Now... the big questions... How horrible would it be if i were to finish the season out with the frame bent? Do guys generally do this type of thing?

And it sounds like its a job for the shop. Anyone have any idea of what i should be looking to pay? $500? $2500? with my luck... $10000? (just kidding about that last figure)

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Someone drilled something good with that one. Sometimes that deal IS to good to be true.

You would be fine for the rest of the season. Just watch your edges on the one side. Once spring hits or summer, take it apart and get a new a-frame and cutting edges and see how level it sits on the truck. I wouldn't think your center section woul dbe bent, but anything possible. Let us know how you make out.

9. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

I just called on the A frame replacement- brand new, its around $400.

I dont know if this is something that i can, or want to attempt to do myself, but i may look into it to see whats involved.

Anyone have any good storys with bending it back through force? I have a Bobcat in my garage. Im thinking it may be reckless, but if anyone has any experience in it, i may try it. I could tie a chain around the driver side wing, then tie it to the bucket and just lift up until it sits straight?!

Is this a crazy thought? Being a concrete guy... people tell me that i come up with crazy thoughts all the time!:D

10. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Ride it out

I would personally ride out whats left of this non-winter season, take it apart when you have time and the weather is nice.
    I would not buy any parts until you find whats bent, chances are a good fab shop could fix it cheaper and beef it up some at the sametime

Good luck with it...

11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

That's a crazy thought! Don't do the Bobcat thing. Take it to someone who can diagnose and fix your problem. Don't make it worse, just get it fixed right, that will cost less than you Fing it up more. Good luck.

12. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Sent you a PM

13. Salty dog

Salty dog Member

It took 7 or so years to bend mine , good idea is to look these over good occasionally (flip over) and catch cracks before they become ripped and bent way outta shape

tried to straighten , but decided on newpayup

101_0566.jpg

14. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

dang! how hard did you hit the curb?
    it wasnt that bad when you picked up the blade was it?

15. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

No, it was not that bad. But i did notice during the first inspection of the plow before i paid the guy that the cutting edges were not even. Excited about getting the plow, along with it raining at the time, and a few other factors made me think nothing of it and that it was probably just the way it say on "his" truck.

So it was screwed since i bought it.

BUT, on my last outing... i do recall a curb i hit pretty freakin hard on that side. I was doing a Target store by myself and was being rushed to the next lot because we were shot on guys that night. I hit that curb in the back going pretty fast (maybe 25ish). Then, the next lot i was not connecting to the ground as close as i was liking.

I had to have made it worse considering i have not plowed since then.

16. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

Salty Dog- How hard was that to replace? Im in no way mechanically inclined... but i do find my way through things i can just unbolt with regular tools and put back together. Is this one of those jobs?

I need a new cutting edge on the driver side, soon! At this point, i don't even care if it snows more than one more time because im not planning on fixing it this year. Money is extremely tight at this moment!

17. Salty dog

Salty dog Member

not hard at all cuz my bro-in-law welding/mechanic expert:mechanic: did most of the work

but we did take it all apart and replace pins too . Some hardware was cut off and started new . also noticed a difference between the old and new design . Rules for being a good snowplow company owner #1 Be Prepared #2 Know a good welder Thumbs Up

101_0724.jpg

101_0725.jpg

18. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

Yeah... im probably looking at bringing it in then, if thats what it comes down to.

Pretty upsetting stuff, now that i look back at getting into this plow.:cry:

Thanks for the words, Salty Dog!