1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

do I get a 07-11 or 2012 for plowing?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by bebop86, Feb 16, 2014.

1. bebop86

bebop86 Junior Member
    from nj

I have a 97 4cyl. stick which I need to replace as my daughter just got her license and cant drive stick- SO do I get the older model or is the newer 2012 with the bigger engine a better choice- I do light plowing of my long driveway and a few neighbors- I have the snowway 80 inch plow- thanks

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd go older but its personal preference.

3. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

Teach your daughter to drive a stick? Thumbs Up?

4. Xjrev10

Xjrev10 Junior Member

I agree with teaching how to drive manual trans but that wasn't your question....

Go for the '12. The 3.6vvt is a much better engine then the 3.8. More power and reliability.

5. Urdum2

Urdum2 Member

How long you planning on keeping the cabin and doing others drives ? Should be the question you ask your self???.......5 years or less...use the old truck........5 or more the new one.....

6. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Extra "power" won't be needed. Look at them from an overall ownership point of view -- i.e. fuel consumption.

Also, before you get rid of the stick, BEST TIME EVER to teach your daughter to operate it. You would be doing her an incredible disservice if you don't teach her how to drive it. The younger they are, the easier they learn it. Even if you do get rid of the vehicle, teach her how to drive it before you do so.

7. BigDBoots

BigDBoots Senior Member

I would keep the old one, teach your daughter to drive stick as it is paid for… why take on fresh debt? Plus, driving stick is a life skill, My wife has never owned an auto, till now, and ninjas my wrangler in the summer w/ top/doors off

8. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Buying a 30k or more vehicle to plow, plus a 5k plow is not a reasonable idea for private use. It isn't like it will be making you money.

9. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

You're misunderstanding obviously, he's buying the new vehicle for his daughter to drive, but will hijack it for plowing **with the old plow he already has**.

10. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Yes, so putting his daughter in a 25+k vehicle that he needs to work when it snows?

Do you know the percentage of teen drivers who rear end someone is?

Waste of money. Make her learn stick, teach her she has to work, learn, and earn a ride like that.