1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I fire him?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by hackitdown, Feb 24, 2014.

1. hackitdown

hackitdown Member

I only run 2 pickup trucks with plows, and we plow only residential driveways. One of my customers ( a close neighbor) sent me an email saying that the plow driver is hammering on the truck every time he sees him in the driveway. During the last storm, the driver got the truck stuck in this same customer's driveway. He decided to just gas it and spin the tires for a very long time. The right rear tire spun so long it actually ground through the asphalt, at least 1.5". He was not using chains or studded tires. This is a brand new F350 with factory tires. I have never seen anything like it. It was near the edge of the pavement, the driver's side tire was on the lawn, so he may have thought both tires were spinning on the grass.

This employee is a nice guy, but is always late to work, seems to damage more than his share of equipment, and makes an endless string of poor decisions. I have been putting up with stupidity because we all do stupid stuff from time to time. But this seems different on many levels. He was being destructive.

2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Have a talk about the treatment of equipment. Then put him in a car with no plow and a shovel in the trunk.
  3. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

2x this....
  4. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

You need to know when to stop counseling and when to cut your losses. I had an employee this year that was strong like bull, seemed to have his **** together. All of a sudden he just turned to dog crap. I talked to him time and time again, until I just hired another employee, and let him go. In the end this is business, not a charity organization. You cant allow any employee continuously put your livelihood in danger because he's "a good guy".
  5. nixray

nixray Senior Member

If you can look past the tardy ness or if he has a darn good reason for being tardy. Write up a hand book of you haven't all ready. Stating misuse/repetitive damage will be deducted from his check. Only you can decide if he is an asset or a$$.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Fire him at the end of season,

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

There's too many guys rolling around in junk equipment !!!

Post up an ad include a pic of your equipment and you will have your choice of help!!!!

Shitcan his ass!!
  8. bigmackmiller

bigmackmiller Member

If you have to think about it its pry best to send him down the road, I would have a zero tolerance for treatment of my equipment like that
  9. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Im still a rookie 2 years in snow removal, ID say fire him. We have a guy like that always beating up the truck.
  10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

11. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

If you have to ask yourself that question, then you already know the answer.
  12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Deal with it till season over and the find a replacement first Then let him go.
    Unless you know a good replacement now send him down the road.

I had one last year but I couldn't find a replacement in the middle of the snow season. So after season was over I sent him down the road.
  13. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

1.5" ground asphalt? I call BS on not knowing, anyone that squealed a tire or two knows what that smells like.
  14. hackitdown

hackitdown Member

That is the thing. I have done my share of burnouts, donuts, drifting, etc, so it is quite clear that whatever he was doing was not working. The other truck is never more than 10 minutes away, and they both have 20' chains for towing. I should take a picture of the divot in the driveway.

I guess I am done with him. The downside is that the next guy may be worse.
  15. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I'd get rid of him, especially if he is destructive.
  16. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare Senior Member

A brand new truck, I would send him packing.
  17. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

Put up an ad here or anywhere. Then after finding a replacement, if you find a replacement, get rid of him. The longer you keep him, the more opportunity for even worse damage to property, equipment and your reputation!
  18. Urdum2

Urdum2 Member

He needs to go, sounds like he isn't going to treat your equipment with care, he needs a different line of work before he breaks something or hurt someone, you got to do what you got to do .....its for the betterment of your business
  19. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

Take a breath and then another. Make sure you have been clear about how you expect him to operate and as long as you have a plan to cover that heavy wet March crap you might get.
    You know what your gut tells you to do. Just be rational and cool
  20. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

"If you have to ask yourself that question, then you already know the answer."

Oldschoolpsd is right.