1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I call or just wait?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wing 97, Oct 4, 2006.

1. wing 97

wing 97 Junior Member
    from ct

Initially I was eager to bid on a parking lot that is right across the street from others I already take care of until I realized how large it is. After the owner called a second time and ask if I had a chance to get the bid done I sent one out.(reluctantly) I have a feeling that I was pretty high but it is going to take me investing in more equipment and running pretty tight on time with my present route. Since I am on the fence about this one anyways I'd like to call the owner and ask if and when I'm out of the running for the contract to let me know. There is a sign by date on the contract but if I have no chance I'd like to know ASAP. Would it be unprofessional to call him?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'd start by looking for some possible sub contractors. When I called the customer I'd approach it with the "don't want to over extend my equipment, and contracts are starting to come back" attitude.
    Have you researched your customers ability to pay? Be a bummer to buy equipment to service a customer who has a reputation for leaving contractors chasing they're money.

3. wing 97

wing 97 Junior Member
    from ct

I did plow for the customer last season but the building was under construction and all that was needed was an acess road in and out. Also did some demo with my skidsteer for him and was always paid with no problem. There is potential for all year maintenace and that is another reason I didn't want to completely turn down the opportunity. If I was to get the contract I would need to purchase a snow pusher for the skidsteer and an additional sander. (probably due for a new one anyways) If I don't then I can get by with the equipment and resources I already have. Thanks for the input!

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I don't think its unprofessional at all. We just picked up a condo complex and I called them twice to see if they made a up their minds and the second time I called they told me I was awarded the bid. I wouldn't call them more than a couple of times though.