1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do i buy a used plow maybe a Fisher or Meyer or a new Snowbear

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow Newb, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Plow Newb

Plow Newb Junior Member
    from Toronto

Newbie question as I am new to the plowing gig.. Any help would be appreciated greatly. Looking to do about 40 - 50 driveways.

For $2000 max, What would you guys rather use to go on a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Long Bed 4x4,

1). A brand new Snowbear which I've seen many automatic responses on them being crap, but alot of owners say they are impressed with them.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/p...4443292795&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

2). or A used fisher or Meyer.. Something like the one in the link below...

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...low-fits-94-02-dodge-pickup-W0QQAdIdZ82353738

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

maybe a used snoway.... alot of applications for your truck..... or a meyer or fisher ..... dont recommend a snow bear

3. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

50 driveways with a 1998 and a used plow seems like a nightmare scenario to me that is allot of unhappy customers when the truck or plow break down

4. Plow Newb

Plow Newb Junior Member
    from Toronto

I know it does... Problem is we're young and it's all we can afford and we gotta start somewhere... We'll snowblow / shovel it if we have to... haha

Any input on a plow though? It is just residential and very small driveways... Don't have much money. Seen used 'real plows' for $1k an under with installation and parts I'd probably need, I'm guessing it would be about $2k..(Canadian dollars) or i could get a snowbear and take it easy on her for about $1600.... everyone I've asked thats previously had one in regards to back-dragging, light weight, etc.. says it worked surprisingly well, so I dunno whether to just roll the dice on it or not...

any ideas for this newbie please?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  5. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

at 50 drives i cant see the snowb holding up 2 well. get your self a nice cable western it will last forever

6. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

You should be able to find a decent used plow for $1500. Try calling around dealers, they might know someone upgrading. Kooy/4WD

Check Craigslist everyday. There is always something.

7. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

I just bought a snowbear to do my drive. I do not suggest doing 50 drives with it. It is not up to the task. They do not have a power angle, but you can angle it manually.

Also, they are 1299 at Sams Club and 1399 at Lowes, Not 1600.

8. Tom McDunnah

Tom McDunnah Junior Member
    from Maine

I think a used Fisher would be up for what you want to do.

I have had Fishers for 30+ years and never had a problem
    ,a great plow and they are made in Rockland Maine :)

JMO and .02

9. TREMEK

TREMEK Junior Member

I would go with the used commercial plow . That snow Snowbear was not made for that much work.

It was made for one driveway you will wear it out 50x as fast

10. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

:confused:
    whats wrong with used other than it has been used?!

everyones plow and truck is used! unless it has just come straight from the dealer. there is nothing wrong with used equipment, everything has a lifespan and you pay for what life is left in it. some times you can get a deal others you dont, if you know what to look for you wont get ripped off.

dont buy a snobear. they are homeowner plows and even at that they suck. if you are doing 50 drives you should be able to afford some decent used equipment. if not then you are probably out of your league.

11. Plow Newb

Plow Newb Junior Member
    from Toronto

Yea, we have half the 50 signed up right now and obviously have available funds from it, its just what is the best way to spend the least amount and get the biggest bang for the buck.
    Obviously the snowbear is crap, its just whether or not it will get through the season. I was just wondering if it could have been used as a throw-away plow after the season was done.

Someone suggested the superplow as well since we are doing so many driveways... http://www.superplow.com/plow_video.php
    Anyone ever used one of those?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  12. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i think you are going about this the wrong way. yes you can do this cheaply, well cheap enough that is. find a used real plow and a real truck with 4 wheel drive. not a toyota with a snobear on it.

there are reasons we all use similar equipment. it works and i dont think any of us are trying to waste money, we all want to save a buck too.

i just saw a late 80's western go for $450 in the for sale section here. thats a good deal. it could easily go on a f-150 or c/k1500 and do all those jobs you want to this year and be very reliable with regular maintenance.

13. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

you would still need a front blade as you can't stack the snow into piles and most areas you cant drag it accrossed the road.....

Like said before, look for a used regular plow, 7'6" is a good size for that truck, and if you wanted bigger, you could always add wings. For resi, the snow way down pressure is unmatched, however, you may be able to find a used unimount or fisher plow for cheaper.

14. Plow Newb

Plow Newb Junior Member
    from Toronto

thanks for the input.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Get a used Fisher they will last forever. You shouldn't have any probablems with a Fisher.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Or a new one they're easy to house train, and if you get tired of it you can sell it for fur.:jester:j/k

fisher.jpg

17. Fotch

Fotch Junior Member

Easy about the Toyota with a snowbear comments. It's pretty tough to find a used plow that will go on a Toyota, most are way too heavy, and at under 4000lbs and 100 hp it is pretty hard to destroy the snowbear. Snowbears do not backdrag well though, I put a backblade on mine and it works a lot better, it is still too light. But for doing driveways, its way easier and less stressful than manovering a 22' long 1 ton around in tight areas.

If I were you, I would run down to London and buy that fisher, it fits your truck already, it would be an easy bolt on, and its cheap.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  18. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Anything but Meyer