1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do I buy a Ford or Cheve.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Bchlawns, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Hello Pros,
    I was wondering if i could get some advice on what you guys think is better. I am getting either a Cheve 2500 HD or Ford 250 Super Duty 2005. Which is better or is there much of a difference? Also, should i get a Diesel or just regualr gas, not going to be plowing tons right off the bat as of now, but that could change i quess. Also, would u recommend a 7.5 or 8 foot Western plow with the ultra mount. And should i get a Poly model or just steel.
    Thanks for the input
    bchlawns

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Check with both dealers in your area and see which one you like best. Gas is a lot cheeper but if you plan on keeping the rig for 10 to 15 years then a diesel is a good choice. as for a 7.5 or 8' Personaly I would pick the 8 poly. no painting every year so it always looks better, poly is heaver, but cost a little more.
    Good luck on what ever you decide for you are the one that you have to keep happy

Dwan

3. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

Everyone has their opinion on which truck is better. I personally am a ford guy, but thats not to say fords are better, its just what i like. On the plow, DEFINITELY go with a 8'. You WILL regret it later if you don't.

4. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I highly recommend the Ford! I think it is the best hands down. As for Gas or Diesel thats your preference. Think about Fisher for the plow too.

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Ok Guys here is my 2 cents.
    Both will do the job,I think Chev has better resale and a lot better ride. Drive them both see how they handle and ride. The dealers around here still have some with plows on them,that way you will get a idea of how they handle the wieght and ride. If you don't like that brand of blade buy one without and have a blade of your choice installed.

Happy Trails Mike

6. Tevi

Tevi Junior Member

I would get a 05 Diesel Ford.The improvements to the 05 or numerous.The new suspension makes the ride alot nicer.The diesel is more to buy but it is more fuel efficient and it has abetter resale value.I've got 199k on mine and if I sold it today I would come out over $12000 ahead of a gas model.

7. KUJAWA RSK

KUJAWA RSK Member
    from PA

GET THE FORD MADE FOR WORK.....

8. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Ford Ford Ford

Buy Ford........................

9. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Lets see my guess most people in this part of the site are going to say Ford because its the Ford section. My opinion though is if you want comfort and a smooth ride get a Chevy unless your willling to pay for a Ford King Ranch if you don't really care about comfort then Ford. The thing i like about the Ford is how it sits higher. I would look at the new 05 Fords but personally wouldn't buy one until the bugs on the new suspension are solved. Better safe then sorry. In the end though buy the one that fits you.

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Agreed, if you posted this in a general posting forum you'd get a much less biased answer to the question. Personally, after seeing all the electrical and transmission problems a few different friends have had, I'd never own a Ford. Maybe they just all had bad experiences, but those two problems are repeating over and over.... the three vehicles that come to mind are an F350 PSD 7.3, a '96 thunderbird 4.6, and a 2000 Mercury Mystique. All three friends have both problems.

Try asking the question in the general forum.

:redbounce

11. George C

George C Senior Member

Look at my signature, I have both.
    I personally would rather drive my Ford on any given day.
    The Chevy is a nice truck, but it's more of a car/truck than a real truck..
    The Ford sits on a better chassis, and I feel has the best diesel on the market.
    Although my Ford is a dually, I remember my 1999 F-250SD SRW crew towing my 26' race car trailer with a more stable feel than the Chevy.

I'm not trying to totally dis the Chevy, it is a nice truck, but I guess there just isn't any "testosterone" to be found in it. :sleeping:

If you buy a gasser, then I feel that GM makes the best in the business.
    You couldn't give me a Ford V-10 because of fuel mileage, or a 5.8 because of the lack of power.
    The GM 6.0L runs great and is more fuel efficient.
    So, I guess it revolves around what you are going to do with it.
    I just bought a new 8' X-Blade to mount on the Chevy, so we'll see how she does in a few months.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  12. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

ford / chevy

I like my Chevy ( '97 3500 crew ). Only had one problem in the time that caused a tow. Otherwise, a never ending work horse. ( I noticed you did not ask your question on the Chevy pages :) ). I originally got it to tow my race car then plow. I love the ride and after sitting 20+ hours it's nice to be comfortable.

As for plows what about the top two in reliability(Per my local shop and my personal experiences); Boss and Snoway? Of the guys I know use them they have never broken down in 6 years - where as westerns seem to be in lesser shape :(

-scott

13. sglaine

sglaine Junior Member

I have plowed with both. And I prefer a Ford any day.

14. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i would say ford diesil hands down (solid front axle) the 6.0l is awesome.as for comfortability my F350 is very comfortable. problms none i have 16,700. had an 99 ranger never a problm except with the electronic shift on the fly 42,000 miles. had an 01 F150 had a vibration that was never fixed. but otherwise it was a good truck even if it did have the 5.4l.

go with a 8' plow

15. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

I must ask,If you feel this way then why do you have a GM product??

16. sglaine

sglaine Junior Member

I would not own a GM product. Never again the last two I had were junk spent more time in the shop than out. Ford Rules. And it is by far the best plow truck on the market. :angel:

17. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Good question. My "GM" is an S15 Jimmy. Hardly the vehicle to do continuous plowing with. The Ford is used for those 24 hour plus continuous plowing, etc... The Jimmy, for my own driveway only. The Ford is a little cumbersome making the turn in my driveway. The Jimmy replaced my Bronco II that got totalled. The S series GM was the only vehicle I could put a Fisher MM on. I would have loved to hang a plow on my Wife's Grand Cherokee but there is no plow made for that vehicle. Shame, where the Jimmy's ride is nice, the Jeep kicks a** in 4WD capability. I also feel like I am driving a car with the Jimmy. :)

18. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Brand wise test them both, and you choose what suits you the best. Also ask around (former customers) about the service at the two dealers. As far as diesel/ gas goes, buy a diesel, you will never go back to a gaser, I know I never will.

19. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

plow for jeep

I have run a sno-way plow for 7 years and zero problems. Maybe they make a plow for your grand jeep.

20. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Wow! That's a loaded question! I came to this site searching for a plow for a Grand Cherokee. I came to love all these guys for the wealth of information and knowledge. Thanks but I think it's a mute point by now!